Chapter Seventeen *XC Walk*

Cross country course walk time. I groan to myself mentally. The course length this year is 4.3 miles. Goes quick on horseback, only about eleven or twelve minutes, but on foot it will take a minimum of an hour. Not to mention the noon sun shining brightly on our backs. I can already feel a sun burn coming along.

As we make our way to the start box, I am surprised to see the amount of spectators walking the course. People stop and stare as I walk by. I feel like a celebrity.

Mark stops in the start box. We all stand behind him, me in front.

"There are 46 jumping efforts on course this year spread out over 4.3 miles. The optimum time is 11:21. Get a few seconds over, I don't care. Play it safe and don't push Rebound anymore than you have to. Keep an average speed of around 570 meters per minute and you should be fine. This course will be difficult but Rebound eats cross country jumps for breakfast." Mark states, looking me in the eye. We all laugh at his comment about Rebound.

"Now lets get walking." We all follow closely behind Mark. A few spectators walk near us, trying to catch some of Mark's comments on the course.

"Ali," Mark says as we approach the first fence, a flower box. "The first fence comes up quick. Raise off Rebound's back and get a nice punchy gallop to it. The first few jumps on course are big, but straight forward and should jump nicely." We stop in front of fence one, the flower box. It is massive, almost four foot in height and nearly a six foot spread. On both sides of the jump are two small pine trees. The flowers are mostly green, with small white, purple, and pink flowers. Mark was right. The first jump was inviting and should be pretty simple for Rebound. After a few seconds in front of the first jump, we walk around it and make our way to the second.

The actual course will be easy to navigate. White rope lines the jumping course for spectators to stand behind, so it will be practically impossible to get off course. At least there is one less thing to worry about.

After a short gallop, up comes the next fence, the Wattle and Daub Cottage. The Wattle and Daub Cottage was about the same size as the flower box, but a slightly smaller spread. It was a simple white and black jump that looks like a cottage, with bright pink and yellow flowers around the base.

"Alright," Mark starts, "Really straight forward fence. I expect no look from Rebound at this. Ride it like you did the first fence. " Mark talks as if I have already ridden the course. I sigh to myself. On to the next fence.

After jumps three and four, two identical 4'9" double brush fences, we walk towards fence five, the rock walls.

"Now, the rock walls." A small gazebo separates two identical 4' rock wall jumps. "They are idenical, but I would jump the one to the right of the gazebo. It sets you up with a straighter line to the next jump."

The next jump. Mark makes is sound so nonchalant, probably because he has done this many times in the past. But news flash Mark. I haven't. The next fence is an AB brush combination. The first fences are both 4'5" and the second fence is 4'9". Notice how I said the first fences. Two options. A quick route which is jump A two strides to an angled jump B, or a longer route. The longer route has a different jump A, galloping around the outside of the brush fence, to a straight forward jump B.

"Now Ali this is the first real question on course with two options. Option one: quicker, more difficult route. Option two: slightly easier option that will take up more time. Even though option two is a longer route to the second part of the combination, you can get a straight approach to the brush. The quicker route will require a bold horse jumping over the first brush fence, which is angled away from the jump B. I also notice that the quicker option has a slight drop on the back side and then it is two strides to the angled next fence."

I put my hands on my hips, observing the combination and measuring my options. "So what do you want me to do, Mark?" I ask him. I am unsure of what I should do myself.

"Honestly I think you should do option one. It will shave a few seconds off of your time. And also, Rebound is a brave horse. He should have no problem facing the more difficult option."

I nod, "Also with doing option one it will prepare Rebound for the other difficult combinations on course."

"Exactly. I think you should do that." I nod again, agreeing with Mark. Option one it is. Onto the next jump.

"Good Lord." I mumble to myself walking to the next jump. This years Rolex course is sure not dissapointing. After a long gallop stretch, you approach an ABC combination. The first jump, fence A, of the combination is a 3'7" triple bar type jump with logs as the rails. About a stride later you enter the water complex. Two strides into the water there is fence B of the combination, a 3'9" fish jump. This fence will have to be ridden perfectly accurate to get to fence C, a 4'9" skinny brush seat.

We all stop in front of the water and I look up at Mark expectantly, waiting for him to tell me the game plan for this tricky triple combination.

He looks down at me with a straight face. "Ride accurate." That is all he says before walking off towards the next jump.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hey guys! Back to a normal updating schedule finally! I broke the cross country walk into parts. I think that there will be 3 parts in total. I did this because I feel like if I didn't there would be a lot of info crammed into one chapter. Hope you enjoyed.

Modeled my course walk after the 2013 Rolex Kentucky cross country course.

Link:

http://www.rk3de.org/virtual_course.php