Chapter Five

Chapter 5

"Hi, I am Alison. But you can call me Ali. What is your name?" I kneel down in front of the 6-year-old girl who I was giving her first lesson at Pink Blossom Farm. Dee's schedule is fully booked today so she asked me to help this beginner rider. 

The girl is holding her father's hands tightly. She gives me a big smile. "I'm Poppy."

I smile back at the adorable Poppy. "Nice to meet you. Do you like horses?" 

Poppy viciously nods her head, her thick blond ringlet curls bouncing up and down.

Chuckling, I ask, "Ready for your first riding lesson then, Poppy?"

~

"Beautiul there, Poppy! Remember to keep those heels down and look up. Look at the trees out in the distance as you make your way around." I shout to her encouragely. Poppy is walking in circles on the lunge line. She is riding the old school pony, Brownie. Brownie is a 24-year-old bay Shetland pony. He is a perfect starting pony who knows his job.

Poppy does exactly what I ask her. I watch her push her heels and lift her head, looking into the distance. 

After sitting and two point walk both directions, I ask Brownie to trot for Poppy. 

"Now Poppy, think to yourself: 'up, down, up, down, up down'. When you think up, take your weight out of the saddle, and when you think down, sit in the saddle. Just like that: 'up, down, up, down, up, down'." Poppy bounces awkwardly in the saddle a few times before rising to Brownie's trot.

"Nice! Keep doing what you are doing, but this time with your heels down. Sink all your weight into your heels!" I encourage her. After a few more laps of posting and two point trot we finish up the lesson with some games.

"Poppy pull back slightly on the reins to stop Brownie." She does as I ask.

"Now your lesson is one, but how about we finish with a game?" I smile, patting Brownie's bay shoulder.

"Yes!" Poppy says enthusiastically.

Smiling to myself I say, "Lets do around he world!"

Poppy glances at me with a confused expression on her face.

I explain ti her what around the world is. "Poppy I will hold onto Brownie and can you take your feet out of the stirrups." Once she does so, I continue to talk. "Now swing one leg over so you are sitting on the saddle with both legs on one side. After that swing the other leg over so you are now correctly in the saddle, but facing the back end of the horse. Then swing your legs over and face the other way with both legs on one side and finally finish with both legs in the saddle correctly. Make sense?" I ask her, allowing for a few seconds to have the information sink in.

She nods furiously. Before I can say go, she does the fastest around the world on horseback I have ever seen.

Staring wide eyes, I give her a high five. She grins at me, rosy cheeks lighting up. "Can you do the other direction even faster?" Poppy nods again, spinning around the saddle even faster this direction. 

"Poppy you are a superstar! Now when you get off a horse, swing your right leg over the saddle and get off on the left." I help her down, instructing her on how to wrap up the stirrups and loosen the girth before we exit the arena.

Once in the barn, Poppy helps me untack Brownie and brush him off. 

"Want to give Mr. Brownie a peppermint?" I ask, handing Poppy the sugary candy. "Remember to hold your hand out flat when feeding him so he doesn't accidentally bite you." Brownie snatches up the treat greedily. 

"Thank you Ms. Ali." Poppy gives me a big hug and I hug her back.

"Your welcome, Poppy. Great job today!" I say goodbye to her and her dad before they leave the barn.

I watch Dee from the corner of my eye approach me as I put Brownie back in his stall.

"How was the new girl Poppy?" Dee asks me, smiling.

"Excellent! She was an awesome little rider for her first lesson. She can beat me in an around the world race anyday!" I laugh to myself.

Dee laughs, "Ali can you ride my new baby horse for me today? His name is Star. He is a three year old Anglo Arabian gelding. Suoer cute to look at, not too cute to handle."

"Um... Sure." I say to her unsurely. I couldn't say no to my old trainer but riding a green horse just before Rolex was not in my to do list.

"Great then lets get started!" Dee says nervously.

Oh boy.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Ugh this chapter is soo overdue I am so sorry. I promise a new chapter soon! And happy holidays!!

As an added note a lot of people have been asking me about Jill. I decided to take her out of Comeback because she was sort of a negative influence to the story and I didnt want that. But I am debating on whether or not to put her back in the book. Please give me your input on this! Thanks!!