Chapter Nineteen *XC Walk*

Jump 18 is a Tobacco Stripping Bench that is 4 feet high and has an 8 foot base spread. Mark says that this jump and the gallop towards it will give the horses a confidence boost before the main attractionfor spectators on cross country, the Rolex head of the lake.

"Now jump 19 at the lake is a 3'6" log with a 6 foot drop. You will need a bold ride in over the log, and a small bank out of the water. After 19 you need to get organized because the turn will come quick to 20." As Mark tells me this we walk through the water of 19. We all have rainboots or waterproof Dubarry's on to keep our feet from getting wet. We step out of the water on the other side and turn left towards jump 20. Jump 20 is just the other half of the Rolex head of the lake.

"Twenty is an ABCD?" I ask Mark, stopping in front of the first jump.

He nods. "As you turn after jump 19 the first jump at 20 comes up quick. Jump A of 20 is a 3'4" rails jump that goes back into the water. In the middle of the water complex is the 3'9" duck in the water, followed by a 3 foot up bank. After the up bank it is two strides to a 4'9" right handed brush corner. Now this is the key part to the entire course. Rebound needs to jump in bravely and you need to keep him forward."

"Is there a second option?" I ask curiously.

"Yes, but we don't have a choice. You have to take this option. The second one will add a lot to the time." I take a deep breath and Mark pats me on the back. "Come on, kiddo. Time to keep walking."

My mom takes another picture at 21, which is a 4 foot tall, 6'6" spread stepped table. We don't take a picture next to the stepped table. We take a picture under the stepped table. The stepped table looks like it was placed on a ditch and water. From the bottom of the 'ditch' to the top of the table it must have been nearly eight feet. Mark doesn't think we should have any problem at this fence considering the other questions on course.

"Jump 22 is an ABC combination, the HSBC FEI classic series normandy bank. Jump up the 3'9" bank over the 3'5" rail, and then a bending line left to the narrow 4'9" brush chevron with a base spread of 6'. The brush chevron is set just past the bottom of the slope." Mark glances at me and asks, "Want to know the second option if you get a refusual at the rail at the top of the bank?"

I nod to him and he continues speaking. "If Rebound stops at the rail at to top of the bank, which he won't, turn left and you can jump a cabin as the alternative before jumping the chevron brush. At this point on the course you only have a few more jumps left, but don't get cocky. You will need concentration to finish the course and you cannot wonder off into the dream land of a clear round. Understand?"

"Yes, sir." I respond.

We walk past jump 23 which is the 3'6" hillside red cabin to 24AB, the duck pond. Jump A in the combination is a 4'3" brush. The brush takes a left bend through a small pond and up a small slope to a 4 foot goose jump. I glance at GiGi who takes a picture of the cute goose jump with her phone.

After a short gallop we come upon jump number 25, a 5 foot tall and 7 foot wide walnut table. It is a dark oak wood jump decorated with colorful flowers. I believe the only thing I have to worry about with this jump and the other last few jumps on course is keeping Rebound forward and making sure he doesn't get winded.

~

"The last combination on course!" Mark enthusiastically says as we walk towards 26AB, two identical horse park barns.

"Horray!" Matt cheers and we all laugh, the uneasiness and tension in the airs slowly slips away.

"You will need to jump both of them at an angle to hold the line. I measured three strides between the jumps. Do this and you should be fine. I would kick Rebound forward after the jump to keep him going and make sure he still has some gas." Mark gives me a slight smile before we walk the last two jumps on course.

The second to last fence on course is a huge arch jump. Only four foot in height, it is has a monsterous 8'6" spread. Horses canter strides are about 12 feet so width is not as much of a problem as height is.

As we approach the final jump my nerves and excitement bubble inside of me even though I haven't even jumped the course yet. My short and flat strides are replaced with long and bouncy ones. I am pumped to get the competition started.

We walked the final jump quickly, wasting no time. The last jump, a Rolex Kentucky produce stand, was fun and looked like it would jump nicely. The jump was made to look like a produce stand and had actual fruits and vegetables inside of it. Green and red apples spelled out the year in the middle of the produce stand.

As we cross the finish line, April and GiGi sling their arms over my shoulder. Everyone stops walking and stands there, observing the course we had just walked. Mom takes a drink from the water bottle in her purse.

"Ali after your run we will all help out at the vet box with cooling Rebound out and getting his vitals back down to normal." He pauses and looks into my eyes, smiling slightly. "Excited?"

I respond truthfully. "Very!"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Honestly I am happy that the course walk chapters are done so we can get onto the good stuff, riding! I totally rushed the ending to these chapters but oh well. Hope you enjoyed :)

Dressage is the key to the next few chapters ;)