Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

"Three, two, one, have a good ride." The start box person says to me.

Rebound bolts out of the starting box for cross country. This was it. An impossible journey would soon come to a close. I collect up my reins and raise myself off of his back. The crowds were massive, thousands of eyes upon me is the weirdest feeling I have ever felt.

The first jump was quickly approaching. It felt like a dream. Everything drifted by in a blur of excitement and nerves. The first obstacle on course was certainly a difficult one. It was a monsterous eleven foot wide ditch with a brush height on the back of five feet. This would certainly be one of the biggest jumps I have ever been over.

Rebound pounds towards the first jump with hunger. His ears are perked forward, not a glint of sweat on him. Yet. I sit deep in the tack, grabbing a bit of mane. I count strides down in my head.

We take off at a long spot. I am thrusted on top of his neck. Rebound doesn't have enough impulsion to make it over the brush. He collapses into the brush. I end up falling before him. I hit the ground hard, seeing stars.

I know what is about to happen. Rebound will land his twelve hundred pound body ontop of me. I brace my hands out in front of me as if that will help. I knew those milliseconds before he landed on me would be the last few seconds before my death.

Rebound's body smashes into me. Everything goes black.

~

I scream, abruptly sitting up in bed. Sweat drips down from my forehead. My arms and leg feel numb.

It was just a dream. I try to tell myself. It was just a terrible nightmare. But somehow it felt to real.

"Ali! Ali what's wrong?" Matt comes bolting inside my bedroom, carrying a bat in his hand. Where the heck did Matt find a bat?

"I'm... I'm fine. Just had a nightmare, that's all." Matt sets the bat down and sits down on the bed next to me. I lean my head on his shoulder and he strokes my hair. Matt is staying in my guest room overnight so he can help me early morning before we leave for Rolex.

"I'm so sorry, Al." He whispers into my hair. I am so lucky to have Matt as my best friend.

"It isn't your fault." I mumble, voice raspy from just waking up. I rub my eyes with my hands. "What time is it, Matt?"

Matt glances down at his phone. "It is 3 AM. What time are we leaving?" Matt asks.

"4 AM. Want to just get ready now?" I let out a deep breath.

"Yeah sounds good. I'll meet you at the barn in thirty." He gives me a quick pat on the shoulder before exiting my room, taking the bat with him.

With a sigh, I stand up and stretch my sides. Forget butterflies in my stomach. I feel like I have a freaking herd of elephants in there. My nerves are extreme and I feel like I am going to throw up. It doesn't feel like I am about to leave for a top level competition.

I walk into the bathroom. Quickly, I wash my face with my Morning Burst Neautrogena face wash. Then I brush my teeth with my extra toothbrush and toothpaste that I did not pack in the suitcase. After that I change out of my pajamas into black leggings and an oversized navy sweatshirt. If I am traveling in the car for six hours I might as well be comfortable.

Grabbing my phone, I head downstairs to the kitchen. I glance down at my phone. It is exploding with texts from dozens of people wishing me good luck.

I open the fridge and take out an apple and a bottle of cold water. Quickly, I drink the water down and eat the apple. By the time I am done it is a quarter to four.

~

In the barn I flip on the light switch. All of the horses inside are laying down besides Rebound. It is like he know that he is about to leave for one of the biggest events in the world.

"Hi, handsome." I croon the Rebound, opening up the stall door and stepping inside. I have to say, Jill did a nice job bathing him. His coat practically shines.

I put Rebound's fuzzy shipping halter on and lead him out into the cross ties. After clipping the hooks to his halter rings, I grab a soft brush, mane comb, and hoof pick. I run the soft brush over his recently clipped body then I brush his practically tangle-less mane and tail. Finally I pick the wet shavings out of his hooves. By the time I am done grooming, Matt is at the barn. He is dressed in a simple black pullover and grey sweatpants.

"Hey I'll help you put Rebound's shipping boots on." I thank Matt and we each take two of Rebound's navy blue shipping boots and put them on his legs. After we put the shipping boots on I wrap his tail in the Woof tail wrap. Next I put on his Rambo travel rug. Finally, on goes Rebound's shipping head bumper. Rebound may look a little decked out but I do not want to risk any injuries to him.

"I put four flakes of hay in the trailer haynet for Rebound." Matt tells me.

"Thanks so much Matt!" I exclaim. "I am going to load him up on the trailer right now so we can leave right when Dee and Mark get here." Dee and Mark will be leaving their cars in the parking lot so we can travel in one truck together. Mark will drive all the way to the Kentucky Horse Park.

I unclip the cross ties from Rebound's halter and attach his leather show lead rope. Leading him out into the chilly spring air, I give him a big pat on the shoulder.

"We can do this boy." I mutter under my breath to Rebound, stepping him into the small two horse trailer. After clipping him to the trailer tie, I toss his lead rope on the ground and shut the trailer doors, locking Rebound inside.

~

"Alison!" Dee squeals excitedly, burying me in a hug. I chuckle, not expecting her to sneak up on me like that.

"Haha. Hi Dee." I laugh at her, watching Mark walk over to me.

Mark pats me on the shoulder. "Excited?" He asks.

"Of course! I am so nervous though. How did you handle the nerves when you went to Rolex and win?" I ask Mark, dumbfounded.

He gives me a half smile. "I will admit that I was very nervous. But how I pulled off a win was not worrying what place I got. I just had personal goals for me and my horse."

"Ready to leave?" Matt asks, walking over to Mark, Dee, and me hudled next to the truck and trailer.

Everyone responds with a yes. We all climb into the truck. Mark is driving, Dee has shotgun, and Matt and I are stuck in the back. I cover myself in a soft blanket that was in the truck and lean my head on the window. I put earbuds in, playing relaxing music softly. Closing my eyes, I will my tired self to take a nap. It was going to be a long ride.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This chapter was terrible but whatevs. I am just excited to upload. Thanks for reading :)