Chapter Thirty Two

Chapter Thirty Two

Drew gives me a leg up back onto Rebound as soon as the last rider in the ring finishes. The crowd is screaming and I knew that he had done it. Andrew Nicholson, a rider from New Zealand, had won Rolex, and that was pretty amazing. I pat Rebound for the billionth time, waiting for the ribbon person to bring me my ribbon. I was genuinely curious and excited to see what place I finished in. I got at least fifth place, which I am ecstatic about, but I know riders in front of me had knocked rails. I don't know who knocked rails or how many, but it should be enough to bump me up a placing or two.

Mark walks over to me. "They are setting up the winners circle with the prizes, so it might be a couple of minutes." I nod, taking everything in. I was finally coming out of my daze, realizing it was not a dream, finishing Rolex was in fact actually happening.

A couple people holding a bunch of prizes walk up to me. They are all smiling. "Congratulations!" One of them says. "You finished in second place. You were the highest placed American rider in the competition."

Holy.

Shit.

I'm pretty sure my mouth is hanging open in shock, because I know my team is. They knew I did good, but I don't think they knew I did this good.

The ribbon people drape another cooler, this time red, around Rebound and I, securing it tightly in place. This one says 'Rolex Kentucky Three Day Event-Reserve Champion'. They hang the biggest and prettiest red second place ribbon I have ever seen on his bridle. Around Rebound's neck they secure on a gigantic red, yellow, and white reserve champion sash and on his breastplate they attach an equally as impressive blue ribbon since I was the highest placed American. A little boy hands me a bouquet of flowers, and I am in tears again.

"We have some more prizes for you. You will receive them before your victory gallop when you enter the arena." A woman tells me.

"Th-thank you." I choke out. Mom pulls out her camera and takes a bunch of pictures of me with my friends and Mark and Dee. I am in a daze again. I did not expect to get second place at all!

"Now enter the arena in order of your final placings." A voice cracks over the loud speaker. I walk behind Andrew Nicholson, and behind me is the rest of the top 20 competitors. As soon as we get in the arena, we trot and line up facing the grand stand, behind the winners circle. If it is possible, the grand stand is even more crowded now. Everyone has their camera out taking pictures. I pat Rebound, who is standing as quiet as a mouse, like the gentleman he is.

"Please congratulate your winner of the Rolex Kentucky Three Day Event, Andrew Nicholson and Quimbo!" The announcer says. Andrew walks over to the winners circle. The cheers from the people drown out any other sounds. He is handed the famous prize, a Rolex watch, prizes from sponsors, keys to his new Land Rover, and a whopping check of $100,000. I know top 20 get prize money, and I was curious to see what I would receive.

After a couple of minutes of pictures and a quick speech it is my turn to receive my prize and take a picture. Both champion and reserve champion get to stand in the winner circle.

"Please congratulate your reserve champion, and leading lady and American, Allison Michaels and Back In Action!" The crowd is overpowering, and I cannot stop smiling. Walking over to the winners circle is an indescribable feeling. So many people are cheering you on, and not just the spectators at the show. The people watching from home and the other competitors. And that is why I like eventing because even if you lose to someone, you still cheer for them. Halting Rebound I hold the reins and bouquet in one hand, I shake the hands of different sponsors and organizers and course designers in the other. The sponsors with different prizes for second place crowd around me. A man walks up to me holding a check. He holds it in one hand and I hold it in the other. I glance down to see he much it is for. The check reads $44,000. Holy smokes. My jaw drops a little. You have no idea how much that money is going to help my business as an aspiring professional equestrian. I smile for a few pictures before I am rushed off to stand back in the line. They raise the American flag and a woman sings the National Anthem. All is silent in the arena while she sings. Her voice gives you the chills.

When the victory gallop starts, Rebound bolts after Quimbo. He thinks it is a race. I let out a laugh. Grinning, I hold my hand with the bouquet in the air. That would make for a pretty dang awesome picture.

Everything was falling into place. Sure, some of my relationships weren't great, but I was working on it. Even though not everything was perfect, in that moment when we were cantering around the Rolex Grand Slam arena, it sure felt pretty close.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Guys can you believe that this is the end of Rebound and the end of such an incredible journey with you guys? Because I certainly can't. Even though I was not the most consistent author and these were the first two books I have ever written and completed, I am completely grateful for all of the support and wonderful feedback. I love each and every one of you so much. All of the reads and likes and comments mean so so much. I remember back to how excited I was when Comeback and Rebound had like 100 reads. Now Comeback has over 30,000 and Rebound has over 16,000. It's insane.

But as a fairly new author on Wattpad, this journey is not over just yet. Over the past few weeks I have been working on a new book and this will be the first time I release the title. It is called, 'With The Labels'. Sounds cheesy and dorky and kind of dumb, I know, but if you like horses (which obviously you guys do) and you like cute romance stories, then look out, because WTL is coming your way soon. I decided that since Comeback and Rebound were so centered and focused about horses, that WTL would still have horses, but not just that. My goal for it is to appeal to equestrians and non-equestrians alike. So please give it a try when it comes out, because I am pretty excited :D

I love you all so so much and thank you for the continued supported. And as always, thank you for reading <3