Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Our simple two horse trailer looks like nothing compared to the other incredible trailers pulling into the Kentucky Horse Park. This has to be one of my favorite showing facilities ever since I was a teenager. The dozens of barns, hilly cross country, and perfectly manicured lawns make for an incredible experience.

"Wow there are already dozens of specators!" Matt exclaims as we pull the truck and trailer up to check in. Matt was right. Young kids, teenager, and adults walk excitedly around the park, and the competition hasn't even officially start yet!

The nearly six hours riding in the car was spent sleeping, texting, and eating breakfast at Cracker Barrel about half way to the park. Rebound traveled great and he drank half a bucket of water when we stopped for food. He has always been good with long horse show commutes.

Mark talks to the check in guy for a few minutes before directing us to the stabling. He passes back my competitor packet in the truck and gives everyone their credentials. We all put the credentials, which are on lanyards, around our necks. We need the credentials to be able to get to the stabling areas.

I quickly glance into the thick folder. It is filled with dozens of flyers, packets, a cross country pinny, and bridle numbers. I smile to myself when I see my show number. It is my lucky number 16. It is my lucky number because when I was 16 years old I won all of my shows at Training level, moved up to Prelim, did my first one star competition, and got grand champion at the year end banquet for Training and Prelim with Faith.

Rebound's home for the next few days will be at the event stabling near the Big Barn.

I glance at my times listed on the packet. "My first jog is at 3:15 tomorrow, dressage is at 1:10 on Friday, cross country is at 10:30 on saturday, second jog is at 8:35 on Sunday. Following the second jog on Sunday is show jumping at 1:15 and then awards at 3." I say out loud to whoever is listening.

Mark is glancing at me through the rear view mirror. He gives me an understanding smile. It is one of those smiles that someone gives you when they understand what you are going through.

~

Mark parks the truck in front of the stabling area.

We all climb out of the truck. I unlatch the back of the trailer door. Rebound twists his neck to look at me. When he sees me he lets out a low winny.

"Hi, baby." I croon to Rebound, unclipping the butt bar. I grab the leather lead rope and attack it to Rebound's shipping halter while unattaching the trailer tie. I cluck and gently push back on Rebound's chest. Cautiously, Rebound steps out of the trailer. I let him get a good look at his surroundings before walking him forward.

Leading Rebound to his stall I notice successful riders such as Lynn Symansky, Allison Springer, and Phillip Dutton. I feel so small next to such incredible riders. It feels unreal that I will actually be competiting against them. This is my first major event and they have done many.

Walking into the stall, I can tell that Matt had recently laid down a fresh bag of shavings. Unclipping Rebound's halter, I take off all of his shipping gear and put it in the trailer. I will not be needing that stuff until we ship back home. Home. I think to myself. When I am back home I will be a different person, for the better or worse.

At the trailer Dee, Mark, and Matt are all unloading. We decided to leave the suitcases in the truck bed because we won't need them until we check in at the hotel tonight.

Matt and I both grab the coolers from the truck bed and walk over to the stalls.

Thank god for Dee. She has set up saddle racks and tack hooks in the tack room and set up a table and chairs outside the stalls. Matt and I place the coolers under the table. On top of the table we have a whiteboard with my times, a small bowl of carrots, and a banner that reads 'Allison Michels Eventing'.

Everyone worked in unison. Matt unloaded the hay bales and placed them all in a pile in the tack room, Dee organized the tack room, I set up Rebounds stall with full water buckets, a bucket for grain, and three flakes of hay, and Mark unloaded everything else.

Once we finish, Mark latches the trailer doors shuts and heads out for a parking space. When he finds a spot he will unhitch the trailer because we only need the truck for transportation now. Then Mark will get then golf cart that we reserved for the show and come back here.

I rub my hands and step back, observing our stall area. "I have to say, we did a hell of a job at setting up." Matt and Dee both agree with a laugh.

"What are we up to the rest of the day?" Matt asks me while checking to make sure Rebound has settled in okay. On Rebound's stall we have his show halter with my bridle number attached to it, leather show lead rope, and navy cooler hanging.

"I am going to hack Rebound around the grounds after he settles in. But since it is about noon I was thinking some lunch?" There are quite a few restaurants and food stands around so it won't be hard to find anything.

"Lets wait for Mark but I think lunch sounds like an excellent idea." Dee says, patting my shoulder.

After those words slip out of her mouth, Mark is approaching us in a hunter green golf cart with the Kentucky Horse Park logo on it.

He stops the cart abruptly, gesturing for us to climb in. We all jump in and Mark says, "Come on, lets go and grab some lunch. I am starving." I laugh to myself after Mark says those words. Clearly he had the same idea as us.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This was quite a boring chapter on their arrival at the horse park but oh well, I was glad to upload. Thanks for reading :)