chapter 3

Y/N's P.O.V

"Alright. Where did Astrid go wrong in the ring today" Gobber asked. We were sat in the hall on the benches by the fire pit, as the heavy rain thundered down onto the stone ground outside.

"I mistimed my Somersault dive.it was sloppy. it threw off my reverse tumble" she critiqued. I rolled my eyes. She is always overly critical.

"Yeah. We noticed" Ruffnut replied with sarcasm. Snotlout grabbed Astrid's hand.

"No, no. You were great. That was so Astrid " he said, in an attempt to woo her. From the glare that she was giving him, it was clear that he was far from success.

"She's right. You have to be tough on yourselves" Gobber said.

I heard a creak. My eyes darted to the door and saw hiccup walking towards us. Gobber glares at him. "Where did Hiccup go wrong?" Gobber asked. Hiccup tried to sit with us, but we kept blocking him. He gave up and sat down on the other table.

"He showed up" Ruffnut said

"He didn't get eaten" Tuffnut said

"He's never where he should  be" I said, making sure I made eye contact with him to ensure my critiques stung his core.

"Thank you Y/N" Gobber said standing up. I smirked obliviously, not catching onto his sarcasm as I high-fived Ruff and Tuff.

"You need to live and breathe this stuff" he said dropping a giant book onto the table. "The dragon manual. Everything we know about every dragon we know of" Gobber explained. A clash of thunder boomed outside followed by the sound of pouring rain.

"No attacks tonight. Study up" Gobber said before leaving. We just stared hopelessly at the book, waiting for the knowledge to miraculously appear in our minds.

"Wait, you mean read?" Tuff asked

"While we're still alive?" Ruff continued

"Why read words, when you can kill the stuff the words tell you" Snotlout said before getting up.

"Oh, I've read it like seven times. There's this water dragon that sprays boiling water at your face. And there another one that buries itself for like a week" Fishlegs says. We just stare at him as he rambles on.

"Yeah that sounds great. There was a chance I was going to read that..." Ruffnut started

"...but now" Ruffnut finished with a put-off expression on her voices.

"You guys read. I'll go kill stuff" Snotlout said, as he starting to walk away. My brows perked up in interest as I got up quickly.

"I'll come too!" I said rushing off in his direction.

"Oh there's this other one that has these spines that look like trees" Fishlegs said.

"Would you shut up! " I groaned to him.

*next day*

"You know, I just happen to notice the book had nothing on Night Furies. Is there another book? Or a sequel? Maybe a little Night Fury pamphlet?" I heard hiccup ask Gobber. A blast hits the top of Hiccup's axe off and he yelps and runs.

"Focus Hiccup! You're not even trying" Gobber shouted.

The ring was set up like a maze. The dragon out today was a Deadly Nadder.

"Today is all about attack" Gobber announced. As the Nadder jumped from wall to wall. "Nadders are quick and light on their feet. You job is to be quicker and lighter ".

The Nadder shoots his spikes towards Fishlegs and it fixes on his shield. He runs his shield against the wall.

"You know. I'm starting to question your teaching methods!" Fishlegs said.

"Look for its blind spot. Every dragon has one. Find it, hide in it, and strike" Gobber suggested.

Hiccup stops in the middle of the course and stares up at Gobber who looked down from the observation area. "Hey, so how would one sneak up on a night fury?" Hiccup asked. What's his deal?

"No one's met one and lived to tell the tale. Now get in there!" He shouted.

"I know, I know. But hypothetically" hiccup asked.

"Hiccup!" Astrid whispered. I gestured for him to be quiet and hide. He knelt down and crouched behind his shield, hiding with us.

The Nadder soon jumped near us, surprising us. I quickly rolled towards the opposite wall, Astrid following, when Snotlout rolled he pulled Astrid aside protectively.

"Watch out babe I'll take care of this" Snotlout said, puffing out his chest. 

"Hey!" She said. Snotlout throws his weapon at the dragon and misses, Astrid glares at him. I run in the other direction.

"The sun was in my eyes Astrid. What do you expect me to do, block out the sun? I could do that but I don't have time right now" I heard him say. The Nadder knocks down the walls. Astrid moves away from Snotlout and leaps like a highly trained gymnast.

"They probably take the daytime off. You know, like a cat. Has anyone ever seen one napping?" Hiccup asked Gobber again.

"Hiccup!" Gobber shouts

"Hiccup!" Astrid also shouts.

He spins around and saw the walls collapsing like dominoes. Astrid came out the dust and crash landed on top of him. Now in a limb-tangled mess. awkward.

"ooohhh. Love on the battle field" Tuffnut cooed in amusement.

"She could do better" Ruffnut stated. The Nadder soon emerged from behind me. I run and slide onto the floor next to the twins.

"Just...let me- why don't you.." hiccup stuttered, trying to untangle from Astrid. The Nadder turns to them like a raptor and starts to run towards them. Astrid gets out the mess and tries to get her axe out hiccup's shield. It was stuck. She gives up on that and hits the Nadder with the shield on the end of the axe. It yelps and scurries off.

"Well done Astrid" Gobber praised. I get up and walk over to the pair as do the others.

"Is this some kind of joke to you? Our parents' war is about to become ours. Figure which side you're on!" She scolded. My eyebrows raised as I exchanged a similar look with Ruff.

Astrid looks over at me with an expectant look. I fix my bow that was resting on my shoulder as she grabs her axe. I looked over my shoulder, back at the group as I walk off with her. Hiccup looks stung.