epilogue

epilogue
Ashton's wedding day

"Get your shit together," Luke mumbled, handing Hayley another tissue.

Michael agreed from where he was stood in front of the mirror, sorting out his hair. "Even Calum thought you were overreacting. It's just a wedding."

"Did he say that? That I was overreacting?"

"Is she done crying yet?" Ashton asked, poking his head through the doorway, assuming it was safe to come in when he heard that Hayley's sobs had faded out.

She sniffled once more. "It's just so beautiful. Like, you're both so in love and you're about to give yourselves completely to each other."

Ashton chuckled, adjusting his tie. "You're more emotional than the bride's mother, Hayley. If you're crying on my wedding day, I don't even wanna know what you'd be like on your own."

"I know, I'm a mess."

"You're ok. Just don't wipe your make-up on your pretty dress," Luke said, helping her dab another tissue under her eyes.

"Thanks Luke. Did you tell Calum the colour of my dress or did he unintentionally match me?"

The blond boy couldn't hold back his grin. "I may have helped him pick out his suit and tie. I mean, I needed to get you back together somehow. He's asked me every day since he left for uni if you were seeing someone."

They'd been on and off for months. Then Calum went to university and although Hayley was scared he'd meet someone else or sleep with some random girl during freshers' week or get hooked on drugs, she knew she had to trust the fact that if it was meant to be, they'd come back to each other.

They still talked, and sent occasional texts, even whilst on a break. Hayley sent him an annoyingly large amount of gummy bears for his birthday as a prank. Months after, he still found little bears in random places. He'd lie if he said he didn't like it. They reminded him of her.

As if on cue, Calum came by to wish Ashton good luck. "Ash, proud of you, mate." His head turned to Hayley, and he gave her a small, awkward smile. "Guys, people are getting seated, we need to go."

The man she'd loved since she was seventeen was stood there in the doorway, the light shadow of a stubble hinting at his jaw. He was taller and broader, but in his eyes she saw the same cuddly boy he'd always been.

"He looks so good in a suit," Hayley mumbled into Michael's ear as they walked to the church to take their seats.

"You're in a church, please stay calm," Michael whispered back, making both Luke and Hayley laugh.

Calum turned around, confused. "What's so funny?" He sat down next to Hayley.

✿  ✿  ✿

She didn't try at all, but somehow Hayley had ended up with a bunch of pale flowers in her hands.

"I guess you're next to get married, then," Luke said, nudging her as Calum walked over.

"Never knew you were so good at catching things."

"Neither did I."

The blond one grinned. "Don't forget to send me an invite," he said before leaving the two to talk.

Hayley wished for Luke to stay and make the situation less awkward. She looked down at the flowers she was holding, and then up at Calum. Never before had she seen him in a suit, and keeping her eyes from wandering was difficult. "They seem convinced we'll get married one day."