3.5

Hayley

"Have you been crying?"

"No," Calum replied quickly.

She could see that he had by the redness at the corners of his eyes, but let it go. There was still a stain of ice cream he'd forgot to wipe off on his shirt. His eyes wandered to where she was looking, and he immediately realised as well, sighing in frustration.

"This whole thing is ruined. I'm sorry," he mumbled.

"It's not your fault."

"Maybe we should just go."

Hayley wouldn't say no to that. Actually, she was relieved. Sitting face to face with Calum was a bit awkward and weird, she'd prefer doing something more lighthearted and fun. She felt as if she was making forced conversation, and with the cute boy opposite her feeling just as awkward as her it just wasn't working. At all.

There was only so much you could say about the weather. Especially when all Hayley could think was oh shit I had sex with him. And it was making her blush furiously because every time he talked all she saw was his lips. And yes, she had been checking out his bum when she got the chance. No shame - he had a cute bum. And face. And eyes. And that goddamn giggle of his.

"Are you cold?"

"Please don't be the guy giving the girl his jacket, that's so cliché," Hayley laughed, but shivered in her loose cardigan.

"This date has been everything but cliché, so I think it balances it out. Besides, if you get a cold it's my fault and I don't want that." Calum shrugged out of his leather jacket, helping Hayley into it. He zipped it halfway in the front, pulling her closer by the fabric.

It was warmed up by his body heat and smelt so much of him - a sweet and warm scent. Wrapped up into what felt and smelt like Calum, Hayley felt safe.

She tilted her head up, placing the first kiss on his lips. It turned into two, three, kisses Calum couldn't resist. Her hands moved up to his face, feeling the outline of his smile with her thumbs as they traced his cheeks.

"I didn't think you'd be the kind to kiss of the first date," Calum said, pulling away from the last kiss.

"Cliché," she mumbled, rolling her eyes.

"You like it."

"A bit. Because it's you."

"Knew it," he said. "Let's do something new."

And oddly enough, they ended up in the playground behind the old schoolyard. Each on a swing, they decided to see who could swing higher. "I definitely won!" Hayley called, her laugh echoing through the empty playing field.

"Lies!"

Jumping of the swing, Hayley landed in the sand, laughing. "Would I lie to you?"

"I dunno, truth or dare?"

"That's a stupid game."

"So, truth?"

"I need a drink to get through this," Hayley groaned.

"There's a shop right there."

"Seriously?"

"Let's go." Calum got off his swing and pulled Hayley up by her hand. "Right now."

While he hurried to get whatever drink he could find, Hayley waited outside, wrapping Calum's jacket closer around her body. The sun was almost out of sight completely, leaving the abandoned playground in an eerie state of darkness and shadows.