3.3

Calum

He'd asked her out. Like on a real date. Calum had never been on a date before, hence why he was freaking the fuck out, not sure what to do, wear or how to style his hair or what to say – was he meant to bring her flowers or was that too cheesy?

He had no clue, and while he was stressing about it all, Ashton and Luke were of no help whatsoever. The two were sharing a bag of sweets whilst lying on each side of his sofa.

Luke threw a red M&M into the air, catching it in his mouth. "Mate, locate your chill. You're like a girl before prom."

"I can't chill! What if I mess up?"

"You've already done the do with her, and she still agreed to go out with you," Ashton reasoned. "Clearly she likes you. Nothing to worry about."

Calum cringed at his friend, glaring at Luke for having spread the message. "You told him?"

"What? About the frickle frackle?" Luke chuckled, still munching. "It may or may not have slipped out."

He earned a slap across the head from Calum, who was pacing around the room, stripping off his shirt for a third time and putting another one on.

"Where are you taking her?"

"We're getting ice cream."

"That's so lame," Luke mumbled, rolling his eyes.

"Shut up, I'm broke."

"Sorry."

"I think it's cute," Ashton said, nodding in approval to Calum.

The sound of someone knocking the door made Calum stop in his tracks. Luke pushed himself off the sofa and went to get the door. "Your girlfriend is here!" Calum could hear the blond boy shout from the other room.

Calum's heart jumped at that. It was new, hearing anyone use that word to describe her. Technically they had put a label on it when she'd agreed to be his girl. However, at that point Calum had still been high off the feeling of having her close and wasn't sure if they were actually boyfriend and girlfriend or not.

"You look like you've seen a ghost," Luke laughed when Calum rushed to the door and nobody was there. "I was only joking, she's not actually here."

The brown haired boy gave him a glare. "You're such a dick."

Ashton chucked an M&M at Luke, who answered by flipping him off. "Cal it's almost eight twenty, you should probably go."

"Shit, I'm late." Calum felt his face getting hotter, because –fuck– he was late for the one thing he really shouldn't be late for. What if she thought he had changed his mind? He swapped his shirt once more, fixed his hair in the mirror and headed towards the door.

"Cal?" Ashton called after him.

"Yeah?"

"You're only wearing one shoe."

"Right." Looking down at his feet, Calum realised Ashton was right. He'd been so absentminded, being so nervous about not messing up that he in fact was messing everything up. Calum really was stressing out, and having to look for his other shoe just brought his nerves into overload. Tears pressed at his eyes, but as he refused to cry in front of Ashton and Luke, he held it all back.

By the time Calum got a Vans sneaker thrown in his direction, he was already half an hour late. The steps leading to her door seemed longer and heavier than ever.

Hayley

She'd waited forever. Okay, fifteen minutes, but being impatient had always been one of Hayley's weaknesses. She'd been early, having made sure she brushed her teeth at least twice – because she was going to kiss him and she really wanted things to be perfect.

Hell, she had even exfoliated and shaved and bought a new bra (with matching pants) for him, and damn had that set of lingerie made her feel flirty. So when he hadn't showed up on time, Hayley felt very miserable, and the fact that she had put so much effort only made her feel silly and embarrassed. There she was, having tried so hard for a boy who didn't even show up.

It's not that she was angry with him for being late – it happened sometimes. She was just scared he'd gotten cold feet. Or had changed his mind and gone with someone else instead.

After a few more minutes, Hayley walked over to sit on the sofa, ridding herself of the uncomfortable but cute shoes she'd been wearing. "Boys are shit," she complained to herself, only causing herself to tear up as she thought about it. Macy had been right. He'd left her. Again.

Knock knock.

When Hayley opened the door, finding Calum there, she was genuinely surprised. She'd given up, thinking he wouldn't show at all. Still, there he was, cheeks rosy and his hair up in an attempt at a quiff.

"I'm sorry," he said, shuffling his feet.

Hayley felt like crying, screaming and shouting because having feelings for Calum was a rollercoaster of emotions and she wasn't sure if she could deal with it. But mostly, she was happy he'd actually showed up at all.

-

the good girls behind the scenes gave me issues and the malum part made me want a malum scene so look out for that in the next chapter i guess

luke and ashton are such lil shits

read my mikey story violet skies please? (SHAMeleSSS)

also yay new cover thanks mel ily

~lauren