1.6

Hayley

It sounded like a war was going on upstairs. Loud music roared, and the floor was occasionally banging, as if someone was jumping around. Hayley had no intention of finding out why, but wished someone else would go tell them to shut the hell up.

Her mum was still not home from her business trip. Becaue Hayley didn't like being alone in the flat at night, her and Macy were having a sleepover. A quiet night with popcorn, movies and girl talk. Or that's what they thought, until Do you know the enemy? Do you know your enemy? came blasting through the floor. How was it even possible for him to complain about her being loud, anyway. Such bullshit.

"More popcorn?" Macy asked, getting herself off of the sofa. She grabbed the now empty bowl and headed to the kitchen.

"Don't microwave them for as long this time, some tasted burnt," Hayley said.

"Okay."

And still, no longer than a minute later, the strong smell of smoke filled the room. The microwave pinged, as if they needed to be told that whatever was in there was done.

The smell doubled when Macy opened the damn thing, along with a big cloud of hot smoke. "Why would you open it!?"

"I don't know!"

"This is bad. Oh no this is so bad!" Hayley put the sleeve of her pyjama shirt over her nose and mouth. "What do we do?"

As an answer to her question, the fire alarm was set off. "Shit! Open the window!"

The music upstairs halted. What was going on? Listening, Hayley realised that not only had their fire alarm gone, but all the alarms in the building.

"We have to go outside."

Freaking out, Macy pulled Hayley by the arm and out into the crowd of people making their way down the emergency exit.

"Was it actually us who set it off?" Macy whispered.

"It has to be," Hayley said. "But act like you don't know anything, okay?"

It was cold. And the ground was wet from the rain earlier. It was soaking her slippers entirely. Oh yeah, she was wearing her fluffy slippers. Great. No wonder people were staring.

Calum and Luke exited the building together, both in sweats. Calum was wearing a navy blue hoodie, not zipped more than an inch, with his grey sweats hanging low. Luke was the same, except he had a vest top on.

Hayley pretended she didn't see them, wishing they wouldn't come over. The universe, however, didn't seem to catch on, and it didn't take long until she heard Calum's voice.

"Cute slippers."

"Thanks," she said, looking down at her feet. It was the first thing he had said to her in a week's time. Nice fucking slippers.

"Go away," Macy spoke up. "You're an idiot if you think she'll even talk to you."

"Oh, um." He awkwardly searched for eye contact, but got nothing. Served him right for being a douchebag, anyway. "It was, like, an accident."

The fire alarm was still ringing, and instead of just standing there awkwardly, between Macy who clearly wasn't a Calum fan and Calum himself, Hayley figured she should take him to one side. "Can we talk?"

"Sure."

Calum sat down with her on one of the benches, away from the people. She folded her arms across her body, partly because she was feeling cold, but also because she wasn't wearing a bra. Things were... showing. To be fair, she wasn't expecting having to go outside in the middle of a movie night. Ugh. Hopefully he wasn't going to notice it anyway.

"I'm sorry about stuff." He looked up at her with those brown eyes, and Hayley had already forgot why she was meant to be mad at him.

"Stuff?"

"I did want to call you."

"What stopped you? I felt like a complete idiot, you know. I was starting to think you regretted it."

"I don't know. I don't know what to say to you sometimes."

"Why?"

"Because you're, like, so far out of my league."

"I'm wearing a pink panda shirt and fluffy slippers. I think we're roughly on the same level." She felt so stupid, and had to constantly remind herself of not moving her arms anywhere. She didn't need to make the already awkward situation any worse.

"You're right."

She slapped his arm. "You're not supposed to agree."

"You still look good, you know," he said. "Not a lot of people are able to pull off the panda look."

"Stop being cute."

"Habit," he smiled slightly, and Hayley wanted to drown herself because who allowed this boy to make her feel so giddy. "Your friend doesn't really like me, does she?"

"Not after you sent me some text about playing Titanic and going down."

"It wasn't meant to be sent to you."

"Oh," she said. "Was it for Alyssa?"

"No no no," he shook his head. "I mean, it wasn't meant to be sent at all."

"I get it, don't worry."

He looked relieved not having to explain himself further. "What have you been up to?" he asked, shifting his position. He must have noticed the way she felt awkward, and wanting to change the subject just as much as she did.

"Besides setting off the fire alarm?"

"That was you?" Calum laughed, his mouth formed into a wide smile. "What did you do?"

"We were making popcorn."

"Sweet?"

"Yeah, who likes them salty, anyway?"

"You're hurting my salted popcorn loving feelings," he joked, nudging her playfully.

Hayley leaned into his touch, but caught herself. She didn't want to get carried away, and had to remind herself of what Macy had said earlier. He was still an idiot for joking with Luke about going down on her.

At the entrance, people were starting to re-enter the building. Hayley looked over, causing Calum to do the same. "I guess we should go back inside."

"Right."

"Come here," she said, opening her arms. It was a way of making peace. They were okay again. Sort of - Hayley knew now that it was best to keep her guard up. Completely forgetting about not wearing a bra, she cuddled into his embrace.

-

pahaha awks

BOYS WHEN WE WEAR NO BRA CAN U FEEL THE THING

but hey girls no bra nights are the best nights man

vote and comment if u want yay it's very much appreciated

~lauren