☠ t w e n t y ☠

(((sorry for any mistakes please politely tell me if anything doesn't make sense)))    

t w e n t y

"Why do you have a unicorn?" A voice asked from behind Jake and Sam. Sam beamed as he turned, finding Felix behind them. He saw the goth give a brief smile in Sam's direction, sending it straight to Sam's brain, before turning on Jake again who was still holding Kevin on his lap which he started to wrap his fingers round protectively.

"It was a gift," he defended, frowning deeply up at Felix. "From Mike."

Felix raised an eyebrow - and that one went straight to Sam's dick - and parted his mouth incredulously. "A guy gave you a unicorn?"

Jake stood, just inches taller than Felix as he spread his arms threateningly, "what's wrong with that?"

Felix just stared at Jake, who didn't back down either, until he rolled his eyes and swung his legs round the bench next to Sam, bringing with him the smell of cigarettes and aftershave that Sam secretly, but greedily, breathed into.

Mia and Ellen smirked at them from across the table, only Sam noticing their sneers as Felix flicked open his lighter for the cigarette in his mouth. Sam pointedly did not look at him this time, knowing what it did to him but couldn't helping tracking his movements from the corner of his eye.

"So English killed me today," Ellen erupted, breaking the silence after a few moments of no one making a sound. To be fair Felix was smoking and Sam had other things on his mind than opening his mouth to start a conversation when the love of his life - who both fascinated him and terrified him - was sitting next to him, and Jake still had his unicorn. "Like I love DiCaprio, but there's only so much of Gatsby I can take - actually scratch that, there's only so much I can take of bloody Daisy Buchanan."

"She is quite annoying," Mia said, quietly. "We aren't reading Gatsby in our class, though, I saw the movie."

"Well she's even worse in the book, I can assure you." Ellen proceed to go on and rant about Daisy, her husband and then other various characters from various other books. Sam got lost a minute in, Mia seemed to keeping up and actually contributing while Felix leaned into his hand with a smirk on his face as she rambled on hotly and gave her an answer whenever she felt she needed one.

"I don't even know why you read The Hobbit a second time, Ellie," Felix said, stubbing out his cigarette as he shook his head, "You hated the first time."

"You know I always need to read the books before I see the movie adaption," Ellen waved her hand before sighing," I wish I had never read or went to watch it now. I know it's a classic, but honestly I find it to be a pile of garbage."

"Everyone has their preferences," Felix said simply. "Even if you don't agree with them."

Ellen glared at him," I'm all for people having their own preferences, Felix. It's when people are too stubborn to see past their own pride and see the other possibilities to take into account."

Felix glared harder, hands bracing against the wood of the table as he leaned closer. "Maybe they do. Maybe they just don't want to admit it straight off."

Ellen harrumphed, flipping her hair with an uncaring attitude as she leaned back. "Then they are just lying to themselves and those around them. Don't you agree, Sam?"

Bewildered and completely lost, Sam blinked at the two of them, not understanding how the conversation had turned into this. "Uh..." he uttered stupidly. Sam had a feeling that she wasn't just talking about books and movies anymore as she and Felix stared at him, Ellen lips pressed tight and eyes burning holes through him to agree with her and Felix... just waiting for Sam to answer. But he didn't, he saw only two answers he could give and either of them would end in his destruction, so he just shook his head in fear before Felix sighed and  got up to walk away, a quick," I've gotta go," passing his lips as he did.

Sam followed him with his eyes, calling out just before he was out of an earshot, "see you in class!" and Felix stopped in his track to look over his shoulder, glancing behind Sam at Ellen before coming back to Sam and raising his had in an attempt of nonchalance before he was on his way again and Sam still watched his back until it disappeared into the building.

"'They slipped briskly into an intimacy from which they would never recover.'" Ellen spoke, her words an octave above a whisper, a flash of white against her dark purple lips as she grinned just Sam turned back to the table. Sam searched her for her to continue what she was on about but she just shrugged, smile still playing on her lips as she said," just practising my English quotes, Sammy."

Sam was staring outside the car window, watching the houses and people go past slowly because Mia was still cautious about going too fast after three months of having her license. He pressed his head up against the cool glass, causing his hat to bunch up at the top but he didn't try to fix it.

"Do you want to talk?" Mia asked him as she changed gears, glancing quickly at him.

Sam sighed, pressing harder until his face was smooched against the glass, his nose squashed into the resemblance of a pig snout as he huffed again, fogging up the glass. Mia slapped him lightly.

"Ow!" Sam cried half-heartedly, pulling himself away from the window to give Mia a look. "What was that for?"

"Stop mucking up my windows with your stupid teenage angst!" She snapped at him. "I thought you and Felix were finally getting somewhere."

"I thought so too," Sam pouted, crossing his arms and sinking into his seat. " I just don't know where he stands - I never really did. He hasn't point blank rejected me, but he hasn't exactly said yes either. I just... I don't know."

Mia pressed her lips together, a frown at her brows as she drove, silence falling between the as Sam moped in his seat. From the beginning Felix had been an alluring mystery, even know as he seemed to be around him all the time he couldn't quite pinpoint in place, couldn't read him no matter how hard he tried. It seemed every time he thought that Felix could maybe like him, that everything was going well and then it just suddenly seemed impossible. There's no way Felix could like someone like him, a guy like him.

They pulled up in front of Sam's house, Mia taking forever to actually stop the car. Sam bundled up his stuff, ready to get out when Mia spoke up. "Maybe..." she looked thoughtful, both hands still on the steering wheel, her gaze to the lamppost in front of her, "maybe he doesn't know."

Sam sat up straight and Mia turned to look at him, brown eyes burning bright and a dazzling smile creeping at her lips. "What?"

"Maybe he doesn't know," she repeated. "He doesn't know how he feels about you. It makes sense, from that weird conversation today and the bipolar attitude. He hasn't rejected you because he's still trying to figure out if you are worth a shot."

Sam held her gaze, clogs working slowly in his brain as he fit everything into place and made sense of what Mia was saying to him before he broke out in a grin, face flushing with happiness. "Yeah, yeah. That's it, Mia!"

Mia screeched happily as Sam pounced on her into a hug, absolutely giddy from head to toe. "That's dangerous, Sam!" She gasped, giggling when kissed her on the cheek.

"You shouldn't give a guy hope, you know," Sam cocked his head as he pulled away but still leaning over the handbrake. "Especially if he's an idiot like me."

"If it means it keeping you smiling," she pinched his cheek lightly with a smile," now get out of my car, I've got an English paper due for tomorrow I need to bull my way through."

Grinning, Sam did as he was told, patting the car roof before Mia sped off with a wave.

He held onto Mia's words, ignoring the niggling feeling at the back of his skull and the dull throb in his chest.

a/n: hahaha betcha didn't expect this!!! Mentioning Gatsby in yet another book of mine because it is my only joy.

I just needed some Mia/Sam bromance, guys! I know you needed it too, you're welcome.

college is so hard and I have no life expect college and work. it's awful.