Chapter One (Part 2)

"Adeline."

A hand brushes against my temple making me open my heavy lidded eyes. I stare up at James, knowing it had to be my best friend.

I smile sleepily, "Hey." I said, grumpily.

"How are you feeling Addie, because you look like hell." He laughed halfheartedly, he jokes but I know he sees everything. The dark bags underneath my dark lashes, the red-rimmed, and bloodshot eyes from crying.

I stick out my tongue, "Shut up, it's not so bad right now, not like last night." Or this morning.

His eyebrows fury, "You never really explained, what is it that hurts?"

I shake my head, sighing as I lay my head back to stare at the popcorn ceiling, "That's the thing James nothing physically hurts, it's just this dull ache like if you have the flu but only having one of the symptoms."

"I'm not following here Addie." He said, still obviously confused.

"Just that feeling you know when you get sick you just feel off, there's no other way I can describe it." I don't tell him that it feels like someone stuck their hand in my chest and is squeezing my heart and lungs until I can't breathe.

"You ever think maybe its depression." He cringes at his own words, knowing I wouldn't like what he had to say.

I laughed, "Seriously."

He looks away from me, "You have to consider it, with what happened with your mom and your sister being gone for so long, it can happen."

I fold my arms defiantly, "It's not because of that, I haven't mentioned her in so long and Izzy is visiting, she's coming back today." I make him look at me, "It's not about that."

He stares at me for a little before speaking, "Then it's not that."

He was my best friend, I trusted him but he was wrong, it wasn't about my mom, I accepted her passing a long time ago. At least that's what I tell myself.

"Are you planning to go back to class? You did sort of sleep through the entire school day, you might as well go home Addie."

I shake my head, "No, I can make it through the rest of the school day," I check my phone for the time. "All that's left is Art anyway, my blow off class."

"Are you sure?" His big brown eyes stare down at me, as I lift myself up.

"Yeah I'll be fine." I dangle my legs over the edge, kind of worried about going back out there.

"Do you have a ride home today, I don't want you walking home alone." He grabs my arm, helping me off the bed.

I retrieve my purse from the white cabinet before turning to him, "Yeah my dad's picking me up." I said, lying too easily.

I don't need him worrying about me all the time, he had his family to worry about. His eldest sister was pregnant, she was due any day now and he needed to be home with her. I could handle walking home alone for one day, I do it all the time.

He doesn't seem to believe me, "Are you sure?"

I nod my head, "We should go, don't want to be late and plus you missed one of your classes already so I'll see you tomorrow."

I leave him, crossing the courtyard to art class before he can interrogate me. The dull ache clings to me like a leech, crossing along with me.

Art class consisted of me feeling guilty about lying to James and feeling like I was about to keel over.

I slip my hidden phone under my desk, checking the time for the hundredth time I've been here. I only had a minute till the bell rang.

I find my purse on the floor, placing it over my shoulder as I waited. My foot unconsciously taps against the floor, forming a rhythm. I had a little patience, a trait most likely received from my mother.