Chapter Thirty

“I am ravaged, but spirited damaged, but still deserving.”

-Segovia Amil

_______________________
Death

Watching her leave and disappear without really knowing if she will go home scared me. She was unpredictable and uncontrollable, she’s done it once again when she walked in here and started to touch the giant feathered things behind me. What was she thinking doing that? Her touch felt like fire along every part of me, and of course instead moving away from her I stepped closer. Like a moth to flame. How encouraging it was to believe someone as Adeline could force me to break the rules I've set myself with for centuries.

“Shit.” Small groans and cries come from behind me, they finally register when I remember who interrupted us. I should blame the cat for barging in here, yelling up a storm about nothing at all. Maybe she’s done it on purpose just to screw me over.

“Why are you here Bastet?” I wanted to take my anger out on someone, my first instinct when something went wrong.

“It’s nothing.” She sniffles again. “She was here the whole time. How the hell did she get here anyway?” She’s hiding something, when she’s emotional she can’t keep as many secrets hidden as she would sober. She babbles looking delusional and mentally unstable.

“Bull, what is going on? You said you did something when you came in here talking, what is it? I want to know everything you two have been doing and leave nothing out. She was very upset with you for someone who doesn’t get along with just about anyone.” Bast might act like she's the life of every party but she isn't, I know her and this is not normal. Why she would befriend a human is beyond me but to keep secrets between each other is something even worse than the first?

“Oh please! Bite your damn tongue you prick. What did you do to her, I might have made her angry but you broke her heart? Did you really have to fall for the human girl Death?”  It takes seconds to toss her across the library and as she's laying on the ground I press down on her throat cutting off her air.

“Don't go there. I asked you a question, I did not need yours nor did I ask for them.” My voice is low and threatening. She had it coming though, I release her letting her take air into her small lungs.

I run my hands through my hair, my nerves getting the best of me. She thinks I've fallen for the girl, no it's a mere fascination. Adeline was a choice I shouldn't have made, I said to her once before that I didn't regret saving her and I don't but I do regret making her mine. I am foolish to think I could possibly change who I am, I am defined by my past and she can't be apart of it. For now on I will do as she asks and give her back to her humans, I know she wants it more than anything or anyone.

Being distracted with internal thoughts Bast almost slips through a portal, I quickly retain her tossing her to the side of the library. “I don’t think so, you aren’t going anywhere.” If I couldn’t go to Adeline, neither would she. “Just leave her be for now until I do what I have to first.”

Harbinger isn’t going to get away with what he did to Tyche and I still have to find out what he has planned with Adeline. She’s still partly my responsibility, I won't let her die either. If she’s going to be by herself tonight I need to do this now.

“What is it you need to do that’s so freaking important?” She was angry but so was I.

“It hasn’t traveled to you yet but I’m sure after this is over it will. Harbinger has betrayed me. For reasons I am unsure about, that is what I have planned and it is important because he has something against Adeline.”