Chapter Eight

"The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost."

- G. K. Chesterton
_____________________________

Adeline

Finally fifth-period, the class James and I had together, this day was going on longer than usual.

I sat with my head resting on my head when he walked through the door, Sam the new guy who insisted I tell him what was wrong with me. He was in my fourth-period class too, where he sat behind me. He tried talking to me but I didn't want to, I knew he would ask me if I was okay. I wasn't okay but he didn't need to know that.

His eyes found mine just as James pulled on a piece of my long hair, jerking my head back. I turned around hitting his arm playfully, he winced acting as if in pain.

"Adeline and James! Do I need to send you to the dean's."

"No Mr. Falcon." We said in union.

I glanced around, not at all embarrassed but what really got me was Sam, his hard glare as he stared at James.

He caught me staring, his harsh demeanor wavered, he stared at me what seemed like forever. He winked before turning his attention back to the teacher. I stared at him for a little more, questioning his motives, what was with this guy.

When the bell rang, I stayed behind, not wanting to talk to Sam. James waited for me as I took my time "fixing" my bag. My last class was Art, so James and I went separate ways.

Before leaving he called after me, "I'll come get you after class."

"Kay," I screamed.

Turning the corner, I ran into a hard body.

"Hey, watch it will ya."

The brick wall was, in fact, Sam.

"Adeline, that was all you're doing, I am an innocent bystander who you ran into." His cheeky grin made me want to hit him, brushing past him I made my way to class before I was late again or if he wanted to ask questions.

"So art right, I have that class too." You've got to be kidding me.

Ignoring him I continued to walk, picking up the pace. He only seemed to walk faster, catching up with me.

"Come on Adeline, talk to me. I'm not so bad promise."

I don't have the time or the patience for him right now, "Oh really cross your heart hope to die."

He crossed his heart with his fingers, shaking my head, I walked to class.

"Sam, what do you want?"

"Well I'm new and I could use a friend even if that friend hates to speak." He was really something wasn't he.

As we entered the classroom, eyes immediately found Sam, he attracted everyone, even the teacher was intrigued.

"New student how lovely." Ms. Rollins clapped her hands together, she was a little more exuberant than usual.

"Hi, my name is Sam." He handed her his schedule, she signed it and directed him towards a seat.