Chapter Five

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you"

- Friedrich Nietzsche

_____________________________

Adeline

"Is she dead Master. I only meant to give her a small amount." He said nervously.

"Of course not, she's asleep Daxt. Just allow me to ensure she gets the right amount next time. It was only to calm her not put her to sleep."

"My mistake, Master."

Grumbling, I opened my eyes, to see Death and a freakishly scary creature next to him. Maybe I thought this would be a nightmare and I would wake up, just my luck. Sitting up I crossed my legs, sticking a pillow on my lap as a shield.

"Have a nice nap." Death smirked. He was still hauntingly beautiful. Every time he spoke, my heart beat a little faster, I blame the female hormone.

"I had a wonderful dream, I was in a beautiful mansion, surrounded by demons." I snap my fingers, "Oh, wait it's my own personal nightmare and don't forget that thing tried poisoning me." Sarcasm dripped from every word as I glared at the beastly looking creature.

He cocked his head narrowing his dark eyes. "I was going to inform you, that you'll be able to go home but I think I'll keep you here a little longer." He briefly glances down at his companion, "Don't you agree on the idea Daxt."

The creature named Daxt only cast his head down, not looking at me at all. He's very creepy, he only reaches to Death's upper thigh, not much threatening except for his claws and teeth.

"I thought you were going to keep me here," I said confused not at all worried about the little creature.

"Do you want to stay; I can arrange another room. Since you destroyed your current one."

"No! I want to go...and I'm sorry about the bathroom." I really was sorry; I don't know what came over me.

"What caused you to destroy the room?" He questioned.

I folded my arms, "What caused you to poison me?"

"He did not poison you my pet, it was meant to calm your nerves but you see Daxt is somewhat on the unintelligent side of my lesser demons." He peered down at his little demon with a disappointed but rather annoyed look.

Daxt's round black eyes seemed to enlarge as he heard his 'master' speak of him.

Unable to resist I leaned slightly forward, toward the small creature, "Don't worry I forgive you but not him." I wink at the little demon. If he could blush I'm pretty sure he would, as for Death well he wasn't very amused.

"Leave us Daxt." He ordered the little demon away.

"Yes, Master." He turns to me with a small nod, I flash him a bright smile that makes him run along just as fast.

I laugh, "I think I kind of like him."

Death glares down at me, "He's a demon Adeline, he'll sell you to a higher demon for just a small taste of your flesh."

I return his glare, "Was that supposed to scare me because I think I'm way passed being scared."

He ignores me, remembering his last question, "Why did you destroy the bathroom?"

I roll my eyes as I speak up at him, "Meeksha, she brought the vial of moonlight tea, then she said something about how I wasn't able to go home. Then it went downhill from there." Squeezing the pillow harder, I didn't get one scratch on my skin as I pounded away at the countertop.