Chapter Twenty Three

"Each time I love (no matter who or what it is) fiercely, readily; it is a wound I open, like a hole, dug by the animal in me: I let that which I love crawl inside."

-Segovia Amil

__________________________

Death

How am I to leave this place when I've forgotten how to use these bloody things.

They shudder in the wind, unmoving besides the slight shake they amit, I can't even force them back in. They won't go away as easily as before, the wind picks up sending me back as they catch the breeze.

I land harshly on the grassy floor, damn.

"Having a hard time Master." I roll around, detecting Valfalls strut up the hill.

"You know I am." I grunt lifting myself off the ground, while shaking off grass from my black jeans.

She stands just to the side of me, she reaches up brushing her fingers along the gray feathers, I shudder sighing against her soft touch, "I have missed them."

"That makes one of us." I grumble.

She grins, "Oh come on they aren't as repulsive, they are a great deal part of you. Stop being such a baby and accept them already." She places a hand on my cheek, "You know you want to."

I glare at her silver eyes, "No I don't, that's why I got rid of them in the first place."

She laughs throwing her arms up in the air, "Then cut them off!"

As if my wings had ears they shudder, spreading wide behind me. I sigh, "Calm down boys." They fold back obediently.

She shrugs, "You see they missed you is all." Before she turns away I glimpse a wide grin on her lips.

"So not too get you anymore riled up but what are you planning on doing with the girl."

I was to speak with her two days ago but I had to conjure a way to better construct a truce with these things behind me and then there was the matter with Tyche.

"I haven't taken full responsibility for her, I changed her, I should have been the one to watch her and make sure she stays out of harm's way."

"Then why didn't you."

"I don't know Val, she..." I sigh not being able to unearth the words to describe what she is.

"She reminds you of the one Raphael spoke of, doesn't she." She was sharp I'll allow her as such praise, nothing evaded that Reaper.

"I don't wish to speak of it." He may have released my wings but he will not bring back those memories.

"I didn't request for you to explain Master, I simply want to help. Even if that requires me training the girl, anything so those filthy Angels do not lay their pesky hands on her."

I shake my head, "I should be the one to take care of the girl, you have matters of your own to attend too."

Thinking I could somehow cease the part where I had to actually watch the girl, I wanted her that day and I just sent her away. Sending Bast was my idea, my fault, I should have known this was going to happen.

"Stop blaming yourself, I can practically hear you in that head of yours."

I can't help but smile, "I need one thing from you Val."

"Name it Master."

"Can you fetch me the girl?" I don't feel I can, seeing as though these wings won't have it.