Chapter Thirty One

"This world is nothing. An illusion. Death is the release."

-Jack Abbott

____________________

Adeline

My soft footsteps are barely heard as I pass my dad's room and enter Isabella's. She's just waking up as I enter, rubbing her eyes as she reads the time on her clock, it was a habit of hers to wake up at five in the morning. She would wake up, make coffee and then go back to sleep.

She finally sees me, fully dressed at her door, all the worry etched into her face. The bruises have healed but small scars remain, "Adeline, where have you been? I had to convince Dad that you weren't feeling well and you were in your room all day. I've been worried sick, I even went to James house and he said he hasn't seen you and that you've been acting weird. You can trust me you know with anything. Why can't you see that?" She was torn, I could see that. I just couldn't say anything, certain people can't handle the weird and the unknown. I would hurt her and Dad more telling them the truth.

"It's hard to explain but I only came back to tell you that I love you and Dad. If I don't come back Izzy you have to tell him that okay." The last part is short, my throat closes up causing fresh tears to pool in my eyes.

She leaves her bed, ready to grab my hands but I shield them from view, "I don't know what you're are saying Adeline. Why are you leaving again?" Her voice too is strained.

Gosh this was so hard, "Just please, promise me."

She shakes her head, "No, what ever this is we can fix it. I can help you, I can." She wipes away tears from my face and tucks a loose strand of hair from my braids behind my ear. It's the way Mom would handle any situation when her daughters were feeling distraught.

"I'm not sure this is fixable, that's why I have to go but if it can't Isabelle... I won't come back. You won't want me back." They will run just like James did, they'll see the monster I've become.

Her face scrunches up to my response, "Adeline, please." She takes a hold of my hand, practically prying open my fingers. I try to pull my hand back but she holds on tight, already seeing the long back claws, "What's happened to you?" She examines them with wide eyes.

"I'm a monster." I cry, ripping my hand from her grasp, only I end up taking skin. My claws tore into the palm of her hand, blood already trickles down her fingers onto the carpeted floor.

She hisses in pain, taking a step back to examine the damage.

"I'm sorry. I-" My back touches the door as I stumble backward, my hands fumble with the door knob before getting it open. Everything is hazy as I run down the steps to the front door. Then I run and run ignoring the passing cars, the people on their front porches drinking morning coffee, not worrying whether or not they see a blue fire in my eyes and the flaws at my sides. I finally stop and pace the sidewalk, at first I don't know where I am, all i see is the blood dripping onto the floor in her room. A sound comes from behind the thick brush and I instantly recognize the loud screech of a front door opening. I peer through the leaves and there he sits. Why did I come here? James yawns loudly, I can make out the dark circles around his eyes and the worry line that forms on his forehead. All I can think of is that he remembers, maybe Death's tricks have worn off and he remembers what I tried doing to him.

I shouldn't have come here.

I back away from his house, slowly walking past so I can reach the forest line. "Adeline!"

Glancing over my shoulder I see him immediately, the rocking chair he was sitting on launches back and hits the side of the house. He struggles for more words before, wanting to speak but can't. He remembers.