Chapter Fourteen

"Our lives don't really belong to us, you see they belong to the world, and in spite of our efforts to make sense of it, the world is a place beyond our understanding."

-Paul Auster

___________________________________

Adeline

I slammed my fist on my beeping alarm clock wanting the loud noise to end, I didn't expect it to crumble into pieces in my hand but it did however stop.

Rumbling underneath my pillow I lay in bed for another fifteen minutes not wanting to get dressed. I mean I'm part demon, what demon goes to freaking high school. Oh yeah no one. Dreading the slow walk to the bathroom I turn on the shower welcoming the steam that hits my face.

A half hour later I'm clean and somewhat dressed, I leave my hair to air dry not bothering to brush out the tangled mess. Placing the right amount of mascara and eye liner on I leave the rest of my face alone.

Trudging down the steps, I don't hear Dad or Izzy so they must still be at the hospital, checking the phone for messages I find none. Shrugging, I guess I walk today. Locking the front door behind me I walk in the direction of the school, looking at my ugly watch, I know I'm going to be late so I take my time not really caring.

I walk on the empty sidewalk, it's quiet today no one's really up in this neighborhood especially at seven in the morning.

Turning the corner at the stop sign, I freeze, my head swims as I look down at the sidewalk. Tire marks still linger on the pale sidewalk and the onto the street. I try everything to stop the flashes of that day to plague my mind but nothing helps as I recall the blue truck, the pain, the sounds of my screams.

Calm down.

I can't.

I think I'm having a panic attack, my chest closes in and I have trouble breathing as my vision blurs with the images and sounds. I whirl around as if it were to happen again, only to make myself even more disoriented.

Help me!

I can't. Just breath.

I take her advice into consideration and sputter out a ragged breath. Its helps somewhat but my chest still feels constricted and heavy.

I debate whether or not I want to go to school, I didn't want another attack like this and I didn't want what occurred to happen again. Then there's also what happened with James. I sigh, not wanting to think about him anymore I push any thoughts about him aside.

*Beeb!Startled I turn to the loud car horn.

The owner of such a noise is coming from the black mustang and inside that mustang is in fact Sam. His face breaks into an easy smile when I see him, his eyes are hidden behind his ray bans.

"There is a much more subtle way to get ahold of someone's attention."

"Get in." I watch as leans over opening the door for me.

"I like walking." I argued.

"Oh I'm sure. Come on you don't wanna be late sleeping beauty."

Sleeping beauty that's a new one for sure, "That was the original plan, miss first period then I only have to suffer through six more hours of school."

He chuckles lightly, "Come on Adeline."

Running my hand through the tangled mess of my hair, that I now regret not brushing I jump into his car.