Chapter Twenty-Nine Part 1

“Still, I can taste you, even now-you, who led me to lower worlds you, who is the origin of my tears you- who made me uniquely vulnerable.”

-Segovia Amil

___________________________

Adeline

Instead of walking through as he suggested, I tumbled through the door. Falling onto my knees when I finally enter his palace. Looking around I can barely see much, the lights are off and it's dark through the foyer windows. The small sound of the portal closing is all that I hear as I stand from the polished floor.

I’ve never known how this place looks like in the dark, it was always lit and the sun was always up no matter what time of day it was here or back home. Why the sudden change, has something terrible happened?

I stay in the shadows, afraid of any light, I did not want someone to find me. Explaining anything right now would be dangerous for me, I don’t know how he’ll react to finding me here. It’s bad enough he has no idea about my intentions, of what I really want, to be normal.

The silent walk through the hallway under the stairs is brutal, all I hear is the sound of my racing heartbeat and my shallow breathing. I nearly stop breathing as I reach his office door, turning like I did before I end up in the small living space.

Ulsif said to look for the falling angels but I don’t see anything that looks slightly like what he described. I enter another room along the living room, it's where I didn’t go when I was originally here. In the dark I can barely make out where I am. The large bay windows that reach the high ceiling soon gives me the light I need. The moon casts its light into the room and I can't help but gasp. It’s massive for one and by the look of its sheer beauty I know it's a ballroom.

The chandeliers above still glint even if there is barely any light to make them shine. The beautifully designed marble floor and walls are every girl's fantasy, I can practically imagine hundreds of people twirling and dancing in breathtaking gowns and various men in a tux. I shake my head not really believing this place actually exist. Quietly giggling to myself, I try to picture myself in a dress, it would be blue with lace and I would dance with everyone, even him. His hair slicked perfectly back, his dark eyes would sparkly with mischief as he would take my hand to begin a dance. The dance would last all night and it would be as if we were made for…

I snap my eyes open, not realizing they had closed. Just as I adjust to the dark once more I hear the distant sound of footsteps, coming from the area on the other side of the ballroom. I quickly try to find something to hide behind and so I opt in for a giant plant and vase.

With the softest of steps possible I dunk behind the massive decoration just in time too, someone with a lit candle comes striding down the unknown hallway. I try to squint to look harder to see if I know who it could be, my eyes widen when I recognize it as Death’s reaper. The girl Reaper, I have forgotten her name but it was Val something I’m sure. The sound of her heeled boots hitting the floor sends my heart into cardiac arrest, she is coming straight for me.

I stop all forms of breathing as she passes the large plant I’ve chosen to hide behind, as she’s a few steps away I breath out, taking in oxygen. However, my breathing rustles the leaves slightly, the sound attracts her attention and she whips around in a smooth motion, directing the candle where I am hidden. I shrink into the ground, hiding further behind the vase, I close my eyes and pray she does not find me. The candlelight reflects the shadow of the leaves along the wall and as soon as it is directed elsewhere I relax somewhat. I stay frozen on the floor, my hands ache from the awkward position and my muscles are strained but I don't move.