Chapter Twenty Seven

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it"

-Unknown

_________
Death

"Are you going to start talking Tyche?" She's been walking around caressing her neck and holding a goblet of wine for an hour; which never left her face.

"It depends." She said.

"On, what exactly." I knew what she wanted. If she told me what she knew, would she possibly be safe from my scythe.

She places the goblet down only to reach up and unwind a necklace from her neck. She tosses it on the table and soon strips herself of the rest of her jewelry.

I fold my arms, amused at her display of irresolution. "What is this about exactly?" I have to admit I did not feel the slightest of guilt or compassion toward her.

"I do not want blood on such precious heirlooms." Of course, I should have guessed that myself.

"Let me put it this way Tyche, you don't go around spouting hate then suddenly devote yourself to me. The human isn't going anywhere unless I say so. You can cry and curse my name but I have had enough of these games. In order to spare your life, which I am on a very thin line about, I want to know what you were going to say before I tried that whole messy thing where I cut off your head." I had no time to dance around her comments and small ploys to get out of this. If she knew something about Adeline, I needed to know.

"If this gets repeated to anyone, you didn't hear it from me Death. Promise me at least that." I agree even before she thinks of mocking up fake tears.

"Your Reaper's found the girl, am I correct?"

"Yes." But of course I already knew that, she must know this.

"But you were the one who felt her first." She waits for a reply, when I do not give one she raises a sculpted brow. "Please just answer them, to clear up some things as I may not know."

"Yes." Or so I thought, the Angels mentioned that I was selfish enough to believe I had been the only one to hear her but I wasn't.

She shakes her head, "No you weren't. Well technically yes, but everyone powerful enough heard her the same time you did maybe a little after. You are more attuned to death then the rest of us."

I rub my forehead, already tired of this, "Get to the point Tyche."

She raises her hands in defense, "Before I get ahead of myself, I just wanted to tell you her death was no accident. She was meant to die that day."

That's where I'm left blank, I knew someone killed her but why and who is the more important one. "Start with who."

"It's complicated," She stops me before I yell a storm. "just wait alright. You have no idea what it will cost me to stand here talking with you about this. I have agreed to talk but be patient; your questions will be answered I can promise you that in return."

I sigh, pulling a chair from the table I take a seat. When she spoke of anything it was long, dramatic, and well overdue. "Go on then."

She too takes a chair, pulling it out to sit opposite of me. "Like I was saying before, every one with a strong enough connection could hear the girl die. Some were quite jealous that you got to her first but it made sense. It is why no one tried to go after her. What no one could understand is why they heard? I'm sure you haven't found out yourself."

She laughs, "If the angels want her too, I'm sure she's part..." She suddenly stops, tears streaming from her eyes as she stares blankly at me.

"Tyche." I stand ready to help her until she coughs up blood, it splatters forward, spraying me in the face. I do not flinch from her blood as I clinch her body in my arms.