Off We Go To The Woods

John tied up his invention one last time before mounting their gray horse, Peter. "Bye Dad! Good luck!" John waved at his son. "Good bye Stiles and take care while I'm gone!" And off went John and Peter.

The walk on the woods was pleasant...until they got hopelessly lost. "We should have been at the fair by now. Maybe we missed a turn. I guess I should have gone...wait a minute Peter." John lit a lantern and tried to read the signs. The one on the left went to Valencia and the right went to Anaheim. Neither were close to the invention fair. "Let's go this way!" John said, urging Peter to the right. Peter took one good look at the dark overgrown forest path on the right and shook his head, heading for the left. "Come on, Pete! It's shortcut." In reality it was not. Both man and horse were hopelessly lost. The darkness began to play with John's imagination. His grip tightened on the reins. "This is too creepy. Where have you taken us Peter?" Peter snorted. Sure, blame the horse. "We better turn around." John said and Peter couldn't agree more. Then a swarm of bats flew over their heads. Freaked out, Peter ran fast until they came to the edge of a cliff. "Whoa, whoa Peter! Back up. Good boy, that's it. Steady boy." Peter seemed a little more reassured, or so it seemed to John before Peter threw him off and ran away. "Peter! Stupid horse!" John muttered as he got up only to hear the growl of wolves. He froze and looked behind himself. A pack of ravenous gray wolves looked down at the man who would soon become their next meal if he did not move. With one last growl, John ran quickly before coming across a mansion in the middle of the woods. He gripped the locked gates and shakes it. "Help! Help! Please, is there someone who can help?" John shouted as he stared frightfully at the wolves who were gaining on him. The gate swung open and he fell in. Quickly kicking the gate shut, he ran into the open door of the mansion as rain began to fall. John took off the hat and wrung it in his hands. "Um, hello? Is anyone here? I'd like to thank you for all your help." "Old fellow must have lost his way in the woods." A whisper broke the silence. "Keep quiet! Maybe he'll go away." Another voice shushed the first. John turned toward the voices. "Is someone there?" The second voice hissed, "Not a word Isaac. Not one word!" John peered into the darkness. "I don't mean to intrude but I've lost my horse and I need a place to stay for the night. The first voice, Isaac, whispered. "Oh Scottie, have a heart." Scott repeatedly shushed his boyfriend. He put his paw over Isaac's snout who promptly stomped on his tail. "Ow ow ow ow ow OUCH!" Isaac padded out of the shadows, a chocolate brown wolf with curly fur. "Of course, you are welcomed here sir." John looked up and around. "Who said that?" He grabbed one of the candles. Isaac nudged his leg. "Down here." John looked down and yelped. Scott sighed before walking out, a darker curly furred wolf. "Incredible! Well now you've done it Isaac. Splendid, just peach-aagh!" John pushed Scott onto his back, looking for where the electronics might be. "How is this accomplished?" He questioned himself. "Let me up at once!" John ignored the indignant wolf. John ran his hands through Scott's fur, tickling the wolf. Scott laughed. "Sto-ha ha-Stop it!" Isaac giggled to himself, trying to keep it low. Scott kicked John off and got up onto his paws, shaking his fur. John sneezed. "Pardon me." He whispered as Isaac shook his damp coat. John sniffled. "Oh, you're soaked to the bone. Come, warm yourself by the fire." Isaac led John to the living room where a warm fire was crackling. "Thank you." John said. Scott ran after them. "No, no, no! Do you know what the Alpha would do if he finds you here?" There was a whoosh of cloth and John looked over. A figment of a tired old man's mind. He decided. "I demand you stop and leave sir!" Scott barked. Isaac stopped, John bumping into him lightly. "But Scottie.." He flattened his ears and looked at Scott with big puppy dog eyes. Scott winced. He was inferior to the puppy dog eyes. John sat down into the large chair in front of the fire. "Oh no, not the Alpha's chair!" A blond wolf came up to John. "I'm not seeing this, I'm not seeing this!" Scott hissed as Erica came up to him. "Well, hello there." Erica wagged her tail. "We have a guest?" She yipped. "No!" Scott yelled, cutting off Isaac. "This all has gone on far enough. I'm the head beta here and.." A large black wolf walked in. "By all technicality, Scott, I'm the head beta. The Alpha considered me his right hand wolf." Boyd reminded him. Scott huffed. A redheaded woman came in. "How would you like a nice cup of tea, sir? It'll warm you up in no time." She poured tea into a small porcelain tea cup. "No tea, Lydia!" He nipped Lydia's ankles in warning. A sandy brown wolf growled a warning at Scott. Lydia passed the cup to John, a small smirk on her face as she rubbed the sandy brown wolf. "Easy Jackson." The door opened and cold wind extinguished the fire. All the wolves dove for cover, Jackson dragging Lydia behind him. A dark shadowed figure walked in on all fours. "There's a stranger here." He growled. "Alpha allow me to explain. This gentleman was lost in the woods and he was cold and wet..." The Alpha roared, drowning out Isaac's words. Isaac whimpered and Scott nudged his flank. Now if Scottie was a back stabbing bastard, he'd throw his pack under the bus, but he's not. John looks around, eyes landing on the Alpha. "Who are you? What are you doing here?" Alpha growled, advancing on the man. The Alpha had features of man but they were distorted, more like a wolf than a man. His limbs were furred, claws coming from his fingertips. He snarled, baring his canines. "I was lost in the woods and.." John tried to scramble out of the chair in fear. "You are not welcomed here!" The Alpha growled, caging John within the chair. "I'm sorry!" John squeaked. The Alpha's red eyes narrowed. "What are you staring at?" John cowered. "Nothing!" He stuttered. "Please I mean no harm! I just need a place to stay." The Alpha grabbed the cowering man and carried him out of the room, slamming the door behind him. "I'll give you a place to stay."