A Very Goode Halloween (Special Chapter #2)

Warnings: Includes black humor, bad writing, cracky situations, and OOC. Eyes have been known to bleed out and shrivel because of this. Enjoy... or will you? Dun dun dun.

/

Already, the air was beginning to get cold- which was painfully obvious, because New York winters were freezing. Which really sucked, because though he had lived here for a good solid year, Leo was a Southern boy through and through, and the cold did not sit well with him. At all.

(Although Khione was a perfect contradiction to that theory. But that was a different story.)

For some reason, some god- ahem ahem Apollo, obvious much?- had decorated the front rooms with jack-o-lanterns that had painfully bright teeth. As in, literal animal teeth. Which was creepy, if you thought about it a lot, but Leo preferred not to. He rather liked his sanity.

"It's finally October," Percy grinned, rubbing his hands in a way Leo was much too familiar with. He elbowed Annabeth, who was half-asleep on the couch beside him, on the shoulder, ducking out of the way as she blearily threw a cushion at his face. "Hey, Wise Girl, want to dress up for Halloween like I suggested last year?"

 "No," Annabeth growled, burrowing her face into her arms. "I told you, there's no way I'm going out in public in a blue-pegasus costume, especially teaming up with you."

"How cold," Percy muttered grumpily, before shrugging. "It was worth a try, though."

He yelped. Annabeth shifted on the couch, smiling smugly as she tucked away her elbow.

"Hey, man," Leo asked, once he was sure Annabeth was back into blissful obliviousness. "You actually asked Annabeth to dress up in a blue-pegasus costume with you?" A chuckle escaped out of his throat, and before he knew it, he was laughing straight-out.

"Is there something wrong with that?" Percy asked, and his confused expression made Leo laugh even harder. "I mean, there's a bunch of costumes out there that are meant to be shared, right? Like the two-headed monster guy, or the..."

"A blue-pegasus," Leo snickered, struggling to breath. "A blue-pegasus. You should have asked her to become seaweed with you instead."

Percy tilted his head in thought. "You know, that's not actually a bad idea. I think I'll give it a try."

Leo smirked. "Yeah, sure, do it and end up with a black eye. You've got no taste in clothes in general, man."

"Yeah, like you do," Percy muttered, but it was clear he was sulking. "I don't get what Calypso sees in you. She could do with so much better. Her taste in guys has clearly worsened since the last time I saw her."

Leo took a moment to process those words, before he yelped loudly in indignation. "Hey!"

A cushion promptly hit smack on his face. It wasn't even one of the softer, cushy ones with velvet covering, but a scratchy straw thing  that hurt worse than a hellhound high on nectar. "Keep it down, gods," Annabeth grumbled crankily, inching forward slowly so her head was on Percy's lap. "I'm tired."

Leo was saved from responding (and dealing with a sleep-deprived Annabeth, consequently) by the subsequent appearance of Jason and Piper in the living room. "Hey," yawned Piper, shaking her bed-hair away and somehow managing to look effortlessly gorgeous. "You guys look nice and happy this morning."

Jason nodded. He was one of those guys who always happened to look awake and alert no matter what time of the day it was, which Leo thought terribly unfair. Maybe it was just genetics; some people had all the luck.

"What are you dressing for as Halloween?" Percy asked, pointedly glancing to the pointy-teeth pumpkins. Leo could have sworn one winked at him. He shivered.

"Probably a couple costume, you know, those things that match each other," Jason said, settling himself on a bright green loveseat, Piper snuggling beside him. "Pipes's thinking of something Greek, maybe. We haven't really decided yet."

"Maybe Psyche and Cupid. Those two were like the only Greek couple to get a happy ending," Piper suggested. Leo could practically see the large mass of thoughts going on in her head.

Jason snorted. "That guy, Cupid, he was a huge jerk, though."

"At least you know you're doing a couple costume. Wise Girl won't cooperate with me," Percy moped, running his fingers along the golden curls that spilled onto his lap.

"Which is because that idea was so undeniably imbecilic it hurt my brain to think about it, Seaweed Brain," Annabeth grouched, although the couch muffled most of her voice so she sounded like she was saying whibedayidaundiebliebelikiturtmibaintinkabowi.

There was an awkward pause. Leo decided to take initiative of the conversation while he still could, casually edging his way from his spot on the wall to a place where he could see his friends better. "You guys seen Hazel and Frank?"

"Nah," Jason said, tapping his fingers together. "I think he took her out to buy a Halloween costume, though. There's a thrift shop next to the school."

"Speaking of which, we should check out that place before it's too late," Piper said, raising her eyebrows. "Thank gods the barrier seals to the house were removed today. C'mon, Jason."

She left the room with Jason in tow barely five minutes since when she had first come in, leaving Leo alone with Percy and Annabeth, whom seemed to be facing some unresolved sexual tension.

"Oh yeah, Annabeth, I almost forgot. Leo suggested this really great* idea for a costume, Why don't we  pair up and dress up as seaweed?" Percy asked, smiling cheerfully.

"Looks like your intelligence really hasn't improved after all those years, huh, Seaweed Brain..." Annabeth sighed, sitting up slowly. "Just like old times."

Leo watched the soap-opera-worthy-show with tired eyes. Ah, if only Calypso could stay with him in the house so he wouldn't always be the odd man out...

But alas, that is a story for a different time. 

/

May you have a safe trick-or-treating experience! Happy Halloween my fellow PJO fans!

*hands out free candy (i.e. fiction i wrote at one in the morning, so sorry for bad quality!)*

---

*this adjective was not inspired by any person's manner of dialogue. hint hint donald trump hint hint