Piper

So, I've been reading all of the comments from the previous chapters and was mind-boggled at all the Update pleas. I'M SO SORRY, ALL OF YOU!!! ;-; T_T PLEASE FORGIVE THIS DESPICABLE, HOLDING NO REGARDS FOR OTHERS AUTHOR!!!

And here you go! Please don't mind the sudden switch in tense, just go with the flow... (like a fish) ~~O-O~~

Piper

There it is again, a flash of blonde amongst the bushes before it disappears from her view.

Piper dares another glance at the courtyard outside. As expected, it is empty except for the janitor making his daily rounds around the campus, and she sighs, wondering if the stress is getting to her.

"Miss Piper," says her teacher, a stiff-lipped, graying-haired old woman by the surname of Marks, tapping impatiently on the whiteboard with a marker. "Perhaps you would do better to pay actual attention in class? Might be better for your grades- why, on your last test..." She trails off purposely, shaking her head with a sigh.

Piper blushes a bright red. English with Mrs. Marks is the only subject which she does not share with any of her friends, and she feels isolated, a lone figure amidst a crowd of shadows. It is even worse with the older woman's evident bias against her, although Piper cannot remember doing anything to offend her sharp-tongued teacher.

The class titters at her obvious embarrassment, especially the girls. On the first day of school, the Queen Bee of the class- a pretty brunette buxom teen by the name of Julia- had all but marched down to her, hands on hips, and demanded that Piper join her little clique. With Piper's immediate refusal, Julia, in a fit of humiliation, declared that she would not forget this insult, and henceforth has tried to make all aspects of Piper's social life hell.

However, some of the boys react in a completely different way.

"I like them girls dumb," Piper hears the boy sitting two rows behind her whisper to his friend, laughing suggestively. "But damn, is she hot. Look at that chest-"

"She already has a boyfriend, idiot, so off-limits," Boy #2 responds, elbowing Boy #1. "It's that Jason kid, you know, the one Kylie's drooling over."

"Oh, him?" Boy #1 says, groaning. "Why are all the good ones taken, dammit... but you know, that blonde upperclassman- what was her name, Isabelle? Annabelle?"

"Annabeth, you dolt," Boy #2 says, and Piper can practically see him rolling his eyes.

"Annabelle, Annabeth, whatever," says Boy #1. "But anyways, her, I heard she's dating some wannabe punk on the Swim Team. I bet he's blackmailing her, or something. There's no way a guy like him could get a chick like her."

Boy #2 makes an affirming noise. "Yeah, and?"

"If I deal with him... I wonder if she'll be interested afterwards?"

"No way, Alan's after her. She's not going to last for long."

"You're right. Damn."

"Order in the classroom, order in the classroom," Mrs. Marks barks out, and Piper thinks bitterly that the teacher only looks mildly annoyed, and not enraged, like when she's picking on Piper. "Alright, get your English textbooks open on page 369. Lana, could you read the first passage for us?"

As the class settles once again into its usual harmony, Piper dares to sneak another glance outside the window. She's disappointed to realize that the splashes of blonde against the otherwise drab backdrops have all but vanished, but perhaps they were never there in the first place, and only a figment of her imagination.

"Miss Piper," Mrs. Marks cuts into her thoughts, her voice like gravel under concrete. "Would you do us the favor of reading the first paragraph of the text?"

Piper looks down at the textbook in front of her, and is mortified to realize that, while getting lost within her thoughts, she has forgotten to turn to the correct page number. Glancing discretely to the boy sitting in front of her, she flips to the same page as him and begins reading:

"'You have done well.' Horus calmly sat on his throne along with the rest of the Egyptian Pantheon and a grumpy looking Set, staring at Sadie and her companions-"

"Miss Piper, are you sure you are on the same page as the rest of the class?" Mrs. Marks snaps, frowning irately. "I said to turn to page 369, where you should have been reading the first of Shakespeare's sonnets. Not page 245, with the excerpts from The Egyptians in High School. Honestly, child, where on Earth did you get that page from?"

"I'm... sorry," Piper forces out, gritting her teeth. Unconsciously, her hands form into tight balls. "I... wasn't... paying attention..."

"Well then, be more attentive next time," Mrs. Marks says briskly, and moves on. Piper blinks- that was it? Her demon-in-human-skin teacher wasn't going to make her do some humiliating punishment under the guise of 'detention' or send her to the administrator's office to be 'disciplined'?

Turning around, she sees the watchful eyes of the principal, Mr. Park, watching the class with beady brown eyes from his makeshift seat on the back counter, drumming his fingers against a sleek metal clipboard. She recognizes the papers he is holding- it is the monthly Teacher Evaluations, and his pencil is held precariously over the C grade ranking.

Ah, so that was it.

Before she turns to face the direction of the whiteboard again (stealthily glancing once again at the still-vacant courtyard), she swears she sees him wink.

.

No romance in this chapter, unless you count Piper hallucinating about seeing Jason in the bushes. Yes, it was just a figment of her imagination overreacting about being placed alone in English with a demon teacher. Sorry for those who expected otherwise.

This was written to introduce a little about school life in Goode, seeing that this story is precariously going off-track from its original and intended plot. The next few chapters will probably be drabbles like this as well-if you have any preferences, write them down in a review and I'll see what I can do about it. :)

I'm sorry for not updating for six months; the move to Saratoga has take its toll on my imagination, and I'm glad to be back, up and running once again like I used to. I'll be seeing you a lot more often the next few weeks~ *hint* *hint* ;)

-Alyson F. Yang