Chapter 13 - Limbo

Covas’ POV:                             

I stare down at the singed photo in my hand, trying to make sense of it; had Gabi done this herself? The vision had given me plenty to think about as well, that Gabi was or perhaps still is in trouble. Her problems seem to stem from herself but there’s the possibility that she didn’t do any of this; I hadn’t seen her burn the photo in the vision or kill the man; either way I need to talk to her when she gets back from her little excursion. Until then, however, I have business to get on with, such as checking the stocks. Swiftly replacing the photo back into the box and hiding it under the pile of underwear once again, I flit back to my room and retrieve my phone from my back pocket. Wonderful things phones, in the old days checking up on everything in the bank used to be such a hassle, but now a few taps on a little device and I can talk to whomever I wish instantly. My thumb vibrates with the speed at which I flick through the options on the device until I reach the Head of Block One, whose name I always seem to forget. I press the green button.

“Sir.”

“Just checking this week’s stock.”

“Of course, Sir. We’ve had a couple more new-borns sign up this week claiming to have no makers.”

“Are you kidding me?! This is a fucking epidemic!”

“I know, Sir, we believe that it’s the same vampire or vampires doing it all over the country.”

“Why is it that we only get these nutters in our country?... Right ok, well we’ll have to house them but we need to sort this out because there isn’t enough blood in our allowance to cover every vampire if things keep accelerating at this rate.”

“Yes, Sir, I have my people on it as we speak.”

“Good, and how are you for humans?”

“We’ll get by, Sir, but if our supply demand increases any further, we may be forced to make extra allowances.”

“We’ll do what we must, but you must run it by me first.”

“Of course, Sir.” I press the red button to end the call once he has spoken then straight away find the number of Head of Block Two. Green button.

“Sir.”

“Stock?”

“What…oh…um, hold on I’ll just get the…” Great, a fucking newbie, I forgot the Head of Block Two had ‘retired’. “Ok, um, I have it here.”

“What does it say at the bottom of the first page, below the stock tables?!”

“Um…”

“Quit saying ‘um’ and start speaking because I have a lot of other things to be getting on with!”

“Ok…uhh…it says….it doesn’t say..anything, Sir.”

“Right, Dec probably forgot to fill that in before he left.” I wait for him to say he’s on it and that he’ll get back to me once he’s got the numbers, but all I hear is laboured breathing on the other end. “What the fuck are you doing?!” I hear his breathing catch as he realises he’s probably supposed to be doing something.

“Sorry, Sir.”

“Right, go and ask your next in charge and see if he knows, if he doesn’t then call all humans and vampires into the main room and do the counting yourself! When you know, give me a call!”

“Yes, S—” Christ almighty, these things should be quick and easy. I only have Block Three to call now and luckily for me, the Head is expecting my call and has his numbers ready upon answering my call.