Chapter 20 - There's Something About Mina

I arrive at the donor lounge, fuming with anger towards every vampire ever to have existed and completely exhausted from climbing all those stairs…I have become so unfit… I stomp over to the fridge and get out what’s left of a packet of sliced ham and some mayonnaise. I then search the breadbin and find some pretty stale pieces of bread and put together a make-shift sandwich for Hayley and I. When I arrive outside though, I can’t see her anywhere so I search around the garden in case I’ve missed her…she’s not here. I leap up the long flights of stairs again to my floor and head over to Hayley’s room; she’s not in there either.

“Where the hell have you gone?” I whisper to myself in my usual manner when I feel uncomfortably alone. I check my designer watch… Covas has me wearing the very best brands now, somehow it makes me feel less human, I think that’s the idea… I continue to search absolutely everywhere for her and find no trace of her, I leave no stone unturned…it’s like she’s been erased from time and space. I’m outside the room I share with Covas when I hear voices from inside, as usual, I place my eager ear to the wood.

“Stanley, I don’t know why you’re bothering me during the day, I mean for god’s sake, what could possibly be so important?”

“I’m sorry, Sir, I wasn’t aware it was day time…I’ve just…lost track of day and night…they blur together now…”

“You’re looking really shit, Stan, I think you should feed…”

“That’s why I’m here, Sir…”

“I’m not understanding you…”

“I don’t mean any disloyalty by this, Sir, but… it’s like… I just really need…just for one night…I’ve never craved anything like this…I feel like…like I need to taste her again… I feel like I’m going mad…” I jump back a little as I hear a crash from inside.

“Wo, Stan, calm the fuck down! Who are you talking about?”

“I know I’ve found my Singer and all that, and I love that, but Mina…ugh…she’s something else…”

“MINA?!” I gasp as I hear another crash and the sound of a furious roar the shakes the walls around me. “I told you she’s mine! I only let you feed from her that once because of all the extra effort you went to making sure her capture went smoothly! You have been a loyal underling for years and I even had you in mind for my first hand man once Liam’s gone… But I cannot ignore your fixation with Mina any longer! I thought you’d finally stop being such a prat once you found your Singer, but you’re worse! You’ve become lazy, self-indulgent and whiny and what’s more, you want to take my Singer too!”

“Sir, I need her, you’ve no idea…. Every time I’m near her I just wanna…” His voice cuts off and I hear another round of earth-shattering growling.

“I don’t want to have to fire you, Stanley, let alone kill you. You are a valued asset here…but if you lay a finger on Mina or go anywhere near her without my consent, I will kill you! Do I make myself clear?!” Nothing but silence follows. “Well?!”