Chapter 15 - Fuel to the Fire

I have gotten a big fat fuck-all out of anyone in this place about Singers for Rosie’s ‘donor manual’ thingy. Covas has kept himself conveniently busy and I’m already pretty sick of wondering around the same building day after day. I read that it’s six o’clock in the evening on the wall-clock as I stride through the lounge on my nightly return to my new vampire roommate. It’s been a week since I was chucked, rather rudely, out of Covas’ room and we’ve barely spoken since. I haven’t seen much of him recently, during the day he sleeps and I’m supposed to stay away until the evening, when I return to our room and I’m consistently told that he ‘can’t help me right now’ and that I should ‘take a nap’ or ‘go gossip with the others’. This is what my life has boiled down to: eat, sleep and gossip.

“Come in, Mina, you pain in my ass.” I jump slightly as his voice booms out from his room and I reach out hesitantly to open the door. I peak inside and see that he is getting dressed into some of his usual designer man-jeans and dark shirt buttoned to the right place, leaving that sprinkling of chest hair. I step fully inside and shut the door behind me. This is the furthest I had gotten with my request in the past week,

“Hi, um… Sir…It’s just about a day-trip?”

“You’ll be exceedingly pleased to know that I have reconsidered your request, Mina.” I feel my eyes physically light up; this place has been driving me crazy. “But… I don’t trust any other vampires not to try their efforts with you, so I will give you an escort, Liam, and he will keep an eye on you and your friend.” Geez, it seems like an awful lot of effort on his part to have a hired-guard…wait…Liam?!

“Liam?! He tried to drain me!” He grimaces.

“I have spoken with Liam, he was unaware at that time of my feelings about you.”

“He tried to drain me!” I’m incredulous, I’m not going to travel with someone that untrustworthy or lacking in self-control.

“Don’t start getting uppity with me, Mina! If I trust Liam then you should too, he did what he did because he was caught off-guard, or so he says…”

“Or so he says…”

“I would have gotten Stanley to do it, but as it happens, he’s very busy, as I should be, but instead I’m kindly doing you a favour –”

“–To get me off your back.” He rolls his eyes.

“It won’t be a day-trip, for obvious reasons, and I’ve told Liam to meet us in…” He checks his Rolex watch, “about now actually…”

“What? Oh…” On cue, I hear a loud knock on the door.

“We’ll be right out, Liam!” Covas shouts out to him then turns and grabs my elbow to guide me over to the door. Upon opening the door, Liam’s eyes do not leave mine and I feel his power probe against my strengthening shield. Covas believes he’s the only one I can resist, so I decide that it’s in my best interest to submit to whatever Liam is trying to make me feel. I allow his power to pass into my mind and immediately I get a very strong urge to kiss him. I almost hesitate but quickly remember who I’m supposed to be resisting. Half reluctantly, half romance-starved, I step forward and almost have my hands resting on his chest before Covas grabs my wrists and yanks me back, a terrifying growl erupting from his chest. “WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?!” He stares at Liam, demanding an explanation on pain of death.

“I was just having a laugh, Covas.” So Liam’s allowed to call him that…are they brothers or something?

“It’s not funny, Liam! You’d hate it if someone did that to your Singer!”

“Right. I’m sorry, won’t happen again –”

“– It better not! If I find out you’ve been using your power against her or taken advantage of her in any way, I won’t care how long we’ve known each other, I will kill you!”