Chapter 14 - Quid Pro Quo

Mina’s POV:

“There are other ways of paying a man—”

“—and a vampire?” His sexy smile drops a little; I’ve made a small puncture in his bubble.

“Well, you are mine so—”

“—so you have some weird claim over like I’m your pet or something?!” Any building excitement has now dropped from his face entirely, I don’t know what is possessing me to say anything at all; he could kill me instantly.

“Mina, why are you suddenly fighting me?” It feels as if I have just woken up and realised the extent to which I had resigned myself to my new fate, how I had accepted it so readily in order to adapt to such a radical change; but I am thinking clearly now.

“I finally grew a pair, that’s what! I’ve known you all of two days, and already you’ve fed from me, decided that I’m your property, and slept with me! You don’t own me, Covas, I’m a human being!” Of all the things I expect Covas to do, I do not expect him to roll his eyes,

“It’s not like that, you silly girl, you are simply under my claim for protection against other vampires!”

“And who’s going to protect me from you?”

“Me? You’re my Singer, Mina, it’s my job to keep you safe so that nature can run its course.”

“What does that even mean?! Everybody keeps talking about Singers like it’s something special to your kind; I think it’s just an over-used excuse to sleep with women! And according to the traditional values of your time, a gentleman does not steal a woman’s virtue like you did last night!” For a moment he seems taken aback, but a second later, his face is wiped clean of all emotion.

Singers are the single most important event of a vampire’s life, it takes centuries to find one and when you find yours, you never let them go. Singers are, for all intensive purposes, a vampire’s counterpoint in humanity; no vampire can be complete without one. Singers are the crossroads of a vampire’s life, a choice between two futures and also the love of a million lifetimes. I did not steal your virtue, Mina, I protected it! If I hadn’t taken it, another vampire would have; at least you lost your innocence to the man with whom you are bonded with for life.” There are a few moments of silence as my reality sinks in, there’s no escaping this, this is what my fate has come to after years of coping with family problems then watching my best friend die; what had been the point of living such a life? I turn away from him, refusing to feel guilty over the possible damage I would cause his ego.

“I don’t want to be bonded with anyone, this is my choice.” I hear a movement behind me and suddenly my back hits the wall and I look up into endless black of his eyes.

“Neither of us have a choice in this, Mina, I am as much attached to you as you are to me.” I try pushing him away but as usual he’s completely immovable; I’d ask myself why I even bother, but I know the answer, better to put up some sort of fight than to resign myself to my fate with no compromise. I look down once more, refusing to meet his gaze and feeling nothing but resentment.

“You can escape this; you’re free to leave whenever you want. I’m stuck here, waiting until the next occasion when you need, or want, to feed from me, or fuck me. And you can’t imagine how that feels, being used like that is hardly conducive to the passion of being your Singer!”

“Look, I promise that all this is only temporary, once I’ve made you vampire then none of this will matter! We can get on with our endless lives together!” I almost catch his smile in the darkness in my peripheral vision; I try hard to keep my eyes from rolling.