Chapter 21 - All Greek

The next few days until the conference pass uneventfully slowly. As I had sort of expected, it turned out that Covas’ sister, Gabi, had been the vamp to bring Danny here. After speaking with him, I find out that Gabi’s been treating him like a prince, buying him the best clothes and rarely feeding from him; I can’t decide whether he’s a pet to her or a lover. As for Covas and I, as usual, he’s been busy with conference preparations and I’ve been bored sick doing almost nothing. Everyone has been worried about Hayley though, she’s been looking so frail recently and after asking her what happened to her the other night, she just won’t talk about it with anyone; Maria is almost certain they’ve compelled her not to say anything. The alleged Allen still seems to be keeping Rosie under wraps as we’ve seen her twice, briefly, in the space of four days; both times she looked tired and shit. I’ve been making a conscious attempt to stay out of any vampires’ way by alternating between Covas’ room and the lounge at meal times, so no trouble from Liam or anybody else. On top of everything, my period has come round again, so I’m in a foul mood as I knock on Maria’s door to ask for some lady-essentials.

“Ye, Mina, what do you want?” I’ve gotten pretty used to the way she talks to me so I just ignore her impatient tone.

“Aunt Mildred’s come to stay…”

“What? What the fuck does that mean?”

“The painters are in…”

“Mina, I’m busy, so don’t fuck around with me…” Busy doing what exactly?! If she’s found something to fill this void in existence then I want in. I lower my voice to a murmur.

“I’ve got my period…”

“Why you bothering me about that? Have you bothered checking the third draw of the bed-side table in your room? That’s where they always are…” I roll my eyes.

“No, you’re right, I’ll go and borrow some of Covas’ tampons; he isn’t due until next week…”

“Agh fuck, fine!” She pops inside and I hear a draw being opened followed by the rustling of a packet; she returns momentarily and hands me a pack of regulars. “Right, so now I’m gonna have to ask for some more from one of the vamps around here, can you imagine how fucking awkward that’s gonna be for me?”

“Yep, that’s why I came straight to you!” I smile and wink at her, catching her perfect incredulous expression before I head on back down the corridor to mine and Covas’ room. Once I’m safe in our room, I sort myself out, so happy that it came on now instead of later when our ‘guests’ are supposed to be arriving.

I pass the time like I always do, catching up on sleep and being stupid, flicking my fountain pen as far as I can. After some time doing this, I realise my fingertips have splodges of ink on them so I retreat to the bathroom and wash my hands. I glance up at the gold-handed bathroom clock and see that it’s about half past six in the evening. Oh shit. I’m supposed to be ready and waiting in the donor lounge by seven… As if on cue, I hear the bedroom door open and close as a set of heavy footsteps sounds and echoes through to the bathroom.

“Mina? You in here?”

“In the bathroom.” One thing I like about vampires is that I don’t have to shout to indicate my presence like I had to at home.

“I’m leaving a dress on the bed that you are to wear during this evening please. Have your hair and makeup done to match if that’s not too much trouble.” He’s insinuating that it shouldn’t be too much trouble but I’ve never been very good at doing my own makeup… “Do you need help with all that?” I can hear the eye-roll in his voice.

“I think I’ll be okay.” I attempt to return the eye-roll.

“Good. And one more thing…” Here we go. “You don’t have to be by my side throughout the conference but please make sure that whilst this conference is in progression you walk and talk like the lady that you are; no back-talk, for your own sake…”