Chapter 23 - Set In Motion

“Excuse me?” Tris looks round incredulous, Covas holds his ground, Stanley seems to shift towards him for support.

“I invested a lot of time and money getting her here; regardless of who her blood calls to, I still have a valid claim over her!”

“As your higher-up Covas, I have the rights to relinquish any claim you have over her that isn’t a product of the Singer bond; since she isn’t your Singer or anyone else’s for that matter, she falls under my jurisdiction!” Tris’ calm facade finally seems to slipping somewhat…

“Sir, Mr Covas did not find the girl.” Stanley chimes in.

“Then what claim has he been referring to?!”

“Someone suggested her to him twelve years ago…”

“Stanley!” Covas looks furious, “Who told you that?”

“I came by the letter they sent you shortly after you received it. When the name and address you sent me to matched the one on the letter, I knew.”

“So you’ve been lying about your claim over her?” Tris is looking at him with treasonous allegation.

“There was no name as to who the letter was from, I tried to track it, but it was a dead-end trail!” Covas glares around at the other vampires defensively.

“What exactly did this letter say?” Covas looks down.

“After I found Mina, I threw the letter away.”

“How convenient...”

“So what? Are you just going to take her? After all the time and effort I put into getting her here?”

“You will be compensated.” Tris brushes him off and proceeds to pick up my limp form.

“I don’t want fucking compensation! Nothing would ever be enough! I brought you the most valuable commodity on this earth, you can’t just buy that! Mine is the only established and verified claim, the vampire who sent the letter has not come forward!”

“Enough, Covas, and you Stanley!” Tris begins to stride towards the door, my used-up form swings with his paces. I hear a struggle behind us and a chorus of growls and roars erupts behind us.

“Mina! Mina!” Tris ignores the desperate calls coming from behind us and proceeds to flit out the door. We stop briefly down one of the corridors in this place and Tris turns to speak to someone, it turns out to be Maria.

“You’re the Block Five girl aren’t you?” I see Maria nod passively whilst gazing intensely at me, I beg her with my eyes to help me. “Covas mentioned you’re our buffet for this evening, you heading there now?” Maria nods again, her eyes never leaving mine but conveying nothing. “Right, tell them when you get in there, that I have instructed them to wait until I get back, am I clear?!”

“Sir.”

“Right, go.” Maria bows her head once more and heads off down the corridor; I may not like her much but I send out all the luck I don’t possess that her fate is not the same as mine. Tris speeds up to vampire speed once again and within a minutes we arrive next to a set of heavy shiny gates; the edge of prison-campus…

“Stop! Show me your ID.” I turn and see a massive hulk of a vampire approaching us. Tris turns to him and places his palm against that of the other vampire, I watch as the hulk appears to suddenly recognise Tris. “Sir.” The hulky vamp bows before turning to place both hands on the bars of the tall shiny metal gate; his skin immediately begins to sizzle like a hot wok on contact with the metal. He lets out a roar of pain before something seems to burst from his hands to flash over the gate, like some brief explosion of energy; the gate swings slightly ajar and Tris carries me through. The hulky vampire growls as he shuts the gate behind us but we’re away again, not a glimpse back.