Chapter 22 - Blue Moon

“Now, Mina, as I was just telling Covas, we all agree that there’s something different about you… I smelt in on your blood the moment I walked into this room.” I thought vampires had to taste your blood to know such things, but maybe they can smell it cos they’re old…or… “What good timing that you should have your monthly female troubles as we arrive; it feels like fate.” Oh… That’s how…eww… The Official, Tris, smirks at me like I’m an animal that’s just soiled itself; I can’t help but flush scarlet, but I try to retain my dignity. I say nothing but gaze back at him, looking him right in the eye. “So, to test out my theory, we just need to try something…” In a flash, I’m being held down on the elongated footstool as the vampires gather round and take up my limbs in their cold hands, ready to strike on command; now I know what this footstool’s purpose is… I’m caught off-guard but I re-gather my senses and let out a bone chilling scream to which I hear growling erupt from who I believe is Covas. “Friend, I promise you we won’t kill her, we’re just testing something…”

“DON’T TOUCH HER, SHE’S MINE! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT!” I look up at Tris as he rolls his eyes.

“You’ll see that I’m right…right boys…and girls, remember, only a taste…” And then they strike. I scream a high pitched, shriek of terror before my mouth is covered by a hand. I must have six or seven vampires feeding on me at once, I’ll surely die…But suddenly I don’t care, their collective influence takes over and I melt into the bliss of their endorphins.

“Mina!” I hear Covas’ voice from a distant place and smile, so this is how I get out of here…I die… But all at once, fangs retreat from my flesh and I open my eyes with all my might to see them all wiping my blood from their mouths. I look round at Tris who’s grinning like he’s just found a pot of pure gold, my blood drips from his elongated canines.

“Did everyone taste that?” I hear a murmur of agreement from the other vampires. “Now tell me that each of you don’t want to tear my head off just for being near her.” Again, I hear murmurs of agreement, louder this time.

“Let me heal her!” Covas voice sounds strained as if he were struggling against some physical force.

“Let me finish, Covas.” Tris tuts impatiently and continues, “Her blood sings to all of us, there’s no denying that…” I glance lazily over at Stanley who’s looking like death warmed up, in contrast, his face is highly alert, waiting for Tris to finish his verdict. “If my theory is correct, then…” He suddenly flits over to Stanley and brings him gently over to me, “she is the antidote to Stanley’s condition…” He pushes Stanley to kneel beside me, “Go on, take a sip.” I can do nothing but watch as he leans in, surprisingly with no fang extension, my remaining energy reserves fast depleting. When he bites, it hurts even more than before, my skin is broken by a tearing action rather than sinking canines. I whimper, the only vocalisation of my pain that I can muster.

“Mina…” Covas seems to sigh dejectedly.

“That’s enough, Stanley.” I hear Tris command him but he doesn’t stop, I hope that he doesn’t. “Stop!” I feel his teeth being wrenched from my throat through the fog that has settled in my mind. Suddenly I feel the familiar wet warmth of a bloody wrist being pressed against my mouth. “Drink.” I refuse to open my mouth, unsure whether I even have the strength to. “Drink!” My mouth is now forced open and I taste blood on my tongue; it seems richer than before and I realise it must be an older vampire, Tris’s, wrist. I allow my body to react like it always does, my mind completely detached from my actions. It only takes a few seconds and then he withdraws his arm, a little of his energy now flows through me; I prick up my ears. “How do you feel, Stanley?” I can hear the smugness in Tris’ voice as I look around to see a much healthier looking Stanley.