Eighteen: I Want It That Way

Tell me why... AIN'T NOTHING BUT A HEARTACHE

Lol, I'm just stalling you guys from reading this very fluffy chapter. It has 2000 words, by the way, so you all better like it. :3

The title is very much dedicated to — wait, you don't know? HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW? GET OUT. You must know who the title is dedicated to before proceeding. Sheesh.

- - - - - Elsa - - - - - ➳

"Where do you plan to go to college?" I asked Robin — trying to make a decent and not awkward conversation with him as we walked down the pavement to Flurries. Unfortunately, his car wasn't available today, as a potted plant from the balcony fell onto the windshield the other day.

"Well, I'm going to be a crime scene investigator like my dad, as well," he started out, kicking pebbles along our way. "I'm considering of moving to D.C. 'cause the White House needs me."

Washington D.C.? That was so far away... Could he actually leave me?

I tried to keep my face straight as I asked him on, "Really? That far?"

"Yeah," he replied with a nervous smile. "I even plan to move out before prom, or something."

"But I thought we were going there together!" I playfully whined. It was true, though. We did plan on going to prom together— as friends for the very least. Although, now that everything's been uncovered, I think it would be hard to think of us that way ever again.

"Eh, you'll be fine," he shook it off. He didn't say anything after that, and I didn't know if I wanted him to take it all back, or not.

Whenever people would ask us if we were dating, I knew the exact answer. I knew that it was exactly a 'no', but now...

I knew we were just friends —but I keep on asking myself: 'Are we friends, or are we more?'

And one of the days that I feared the most has come.

The day I could no longer answer that question.

"I'll miss you, though." he added—noticing my sudden silence. "That's for sure."

"I'll miss you, too," I smiled a little bit. "But I know you love me enough to stay."

"You got a point there," he chuckled, and that sound alone could just make me laugh the entire day.

That was Robin, really. It took him no effort to charm everyone around, and there was no force on the world that can ever make him unlovable. So why am I not falling for him then? Am I?

It didn't take us too long to walk ourselves all the way to the shop. Talking to each other seemed like it cut off half of the time, so I really didn't notice.

He peered down the light pink blinds as I unlocked the front door. I expected Barbara not to be in today, as she told me that she was going out with her friend Donna for the day— just as I did with Jack yesterday.

Inside, I turned on the lights one by one, and Robin helped me take down the chairs from the top of the tables.

"You're going to be here all alone?" he asked—dusting off a round lemon yellow table.