Twenty Seven: End of the Day

Damn, I'm so slow at this.

Yᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜᴀᴛ I ᴡᴀɴᴛ
Aᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʏ

- - - - - Jack - - - - - ➳    

The small electric lamp was the only source of heat and light on the boat. It emitted a soft glow that highlighted Elsa's livid face. She was shifting in her seat, looking uncomfortably around the boat. The noisy motor of the boat made her speak a little louder to be heard.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" She asked me, her face shrouded in worry.

I shrugged, "Chill down, Elsa. It's just a boat. I've driven one of these before back in California when we were first filming."

"But the boat there was being pulled by a clear string," Elsa's voice became louder, and her eyes widened a bit more. "And you were filming on a swimming pool."

"Sure, yeah, but that doesn't make it too different," I reasoned out once again.

Be cool, Jack. You can do this.

A boat seems easy to take out, right? Just pull the motor and stop a couple of feet away from the shore just to spend some alone time with Elsa. Easy peasy.

And what seemed to be an easy job turned out to be a completely absurd nightmare.

The boat's motor suddenly spasmed and let out a last huff. Elsa shot her eyes towards me, and then to the motor, and then back to me.

"What just happened?" I still could see her eyes underneath the night's darkness. She didn't seem too pleased.

Just great.

"Daydream... uh... I don't know. Maybe something's just stuck?" Not.

"Oh my!" She gasped. "However can we go back to the shore?"

"I'll think of something," I replied while looking around the boat's floor to find something to paddle us back to the beach. 

Why didn't I think about the boat having not enough fuel to go out and about? It's a prop, for heaven's sake. 

Again, like all the apple roses. Stupid, Jack. So, darn stupid.

"Hey, are you alright?" Elsa stretched out her hand and placed it on my shoulder.

I shook my head, "I'm just so sorry. This was my worst plan, yet."

"It's fine," she reassured me. "We're gonna get back, right?"

"I... I hope so," I looked away. This wasn't seriously how I thought this date would go. Actually, I really suck at the dates. Something always goes wrong.

"They'll be looking for us, and we aren't that far from the shore, so we'd surely be found in the daylight," she said, her lips forming a worried smile.

I was worried about the trouble Elsa could get with her dad, but honestly, I was happy because this was a perfect time to finally be with her after the paparazzi incident a few days ago. God, I missed her smile, but I couldn't exactly see it at this time of the day... or should I say night?

- - - - - Elsa - - - - - ➳     

I appreciate that he had this nice idea of taking me out on a boat ride and all, but I should step away from all his silly, impromptu itineraries.  There wasn't anything else on the boat besides the lamp and a pile of rope. No oars, no sticks to paddle our way back to the shore. Nothing.

Just me, him, and the moon.

I've been meaning to tell him about how I have told Robin down already. I thought that I should because that would help him know where he stands, and well, I'm sure he's the only one standing now. I'm not expecting him to ask me anything, but... okay, I am expecting, but I know that he would take his time.

"Jack, I... I already turned down Robin," I said in a whisper. "I shouldn't lead him on anymore because I really do know what I feel about you, and I know what it could be soon, but not right now."

"Are you saying that..." He trailed his sentence, and took my hand in his. "You chose me, and I'm not the only one who's madly falling in love with you?"

"Yes," I replied with a nod and a reassuring smile. "But about you."

The boat nearly toppled over when he scooped me into his arms, his frosty scent making me feel like I was at home. As he pulled away, his eyes looked at me ever so differently under the lantern's glow. It was something I couldn't comprehend — like pure happiness oozing from his teal eyes. 

Which then makes me wonder: is he already in love with me? Am I already in love with him?

I think he is, but what scares me the most is that I don't feel as much as he does right now. I'm still in the process of sticking with what I have decided, even though it cost a childhood friendship away from me. I'm always wondering if is this really worth it? Am I not too afraid to try? Why am I not afraid, if ever, then? Is this what I had been hoping for?

I did hope for it, but I didn't think that it would actually come true. Like, tangible true. 

As a fangirl, I hoped that this would happen to me, but I had accepted that it was a long shot— with him being over in California doing whatever he does in the spotlight, and with me being back here in North Carolina doing whatever I do in the cranny. And now, it's real, and I don't want it to stop.

Jack leaned in very slowly, his nose inching towards mine. I closed my eyes and waited for him to move. With just a light touch of our lips, my heart soared to the evening sky. Finally.

"You don't know how happy I am to know that, angel," Jack said, his forehead on mine, and his darkened eyes staring through my soul. "I know it's only been a couple of days, and god, I don't even know your shoe size."

"But you don't ever have to regret being with me," he continued. "Call me reckless, call me impulsive, but for heaven's sake, Elsa. I've fallen for you so hard, and please don't make me stop. I don't think I ever could."

A/N: good god i rEALLY SUCK AT UPDATING THIS BOOK LIKE I'M SUCH A HORRIBLE PERSON. I could never say sorry enough. Really.

I got this entire thing planned out in my head, but I just never have time to type it all down, and whenever I do have the time, my mind goes blank space, and UUUUUGHH.

However, I do have the Epilogue of the book written out already. I always write the ending of the book before even actually getting close to finishing it because it's fun, and I like to read it out loud to spoil my sister. She knows all my plans for all my books. iNCLUDING WHO DIES AND WHICH SHIP PREVAILS. hehe.

Again, I'm sorry, and thank you so much for reading.

xoxo,
Julienne