Chapter Fourteen

Eliot's POV

             The next day, we went on a two hour hiking trip. After thirty minutes, I was sweating out of areas I didn't know could sweat! I don't understand how people like doing this. We settled by a small stream. I plopped down on a rock, exhausted. I stretched out my legs, groaning.

            Liam came over to me and sat down.

            Neither of us said anything. I smiled. I don't know why but awkward silences make me laugh.

            "Do you want some water?" He waved a bottle of water in front of my face. I took it, our fingers brushing each other.

            I shuddered. I stared at him, noticing the hint of red in his dark hair. And his eyes which were a shade of blue I couldn't name. It was weird that I was noticing all these little things about him now.

            I took a sip of water.

            "Okay, let's get going!" Aunt Ava cheered and Liam and I groaned in unison.

            "Can't we just make camp here for tonight?" Liam begged.

            His dad nodded, "Yeah, Ava, that stream is great for fishing. I like this spot."

            Aunt Ava pouted, "Fine, but if a bear comes down here I'm throwing you at it!"

            His dad shrugged, "I'd rather get eaten by a bear than have to walk one more step."

            The sun began to set and as Liam's dad and mom tried to start a fire with wet wood, I sat cozily on my sleeping bag.

            "I think we need to find dry wood. I'll go," I volunteered, getting up.

            Liam got up too, "I'll help."

            "I wanna go!" Jackie squealed.

            Liam's mom frowned at Jackie, "Do you want to eaten by a bear, Jackie?"

            Jackie shook her head.

            "Then, sit your butt down."

            Aunt Ava passed me the flashlight, "Be careful,"

            "Be careful about what?" Liam grumbled, "We're just grabbing wood, people. Nothing is going to happen."

            I snorted and headed toward the thick trees that seemed to want to swallow me. I kept feeling something brushing my back and butt. I ignored it until it settled on the small of my back. I freaked and stopped, "What the hell?"

            Liam slammed into my back, "What's wrong?"

            "Why are you groping my butt?"

            He coughed, "Sorry,"

            No sarcastic remark? Weird.

Liam's POV

            I scattered away from Eliot and picked up an ugly branch. I already had a hand arm full of branches. The light from the flashlight flashed in my face and white blurs covered my vision, "Hey, aim that thing the other direction!"