Chapter Twenty

FIVE YEARS AND THREE MONTHS LATER

Liam's POV

            "Jackie, if you want ice cream later, you better check out a book. Mom will be mad if she thinks I'm just spoiling you," I flicked my younger sister in the nose. She was eleven and eleven year olds only think about ice cream and in Jackie's case, not books.

            She pouted and stomped off to the pre-teen section. I grabbed some Medical books and headed for the check-out counter. I'm starting Grad School in a month and I wanted to get a head start. The old librarian scanned my books and gave me my receipt.

            I found Jackie snoozing in one of the couches behind the pre-teen book shelves. I kicked her knee and she shook awake. When she saw me, she shrugged and went back to sleeping. I shook her, "Seriously, don't you want your ice cream?"

            She sprung up, "I also want a strawberry crème from Starbucks for this boring hell you put me through."

            "How was this boring? I asked you to check out a book."

            She perched her lips, "You spent an hour deciding which Medical book was better than the other and honestly they're all the same. Now, can we go, you're boring me."

            I laughed and nodded, heading for the door.

            We drove to the nearby Starbucks. I took a seat and allowed Jackie to order. It was entertaining to watch Jackie order because whenever we actually got here, she'd be overwhelmed with what to get and confuse the living crap out of barista.

            "I got you the hot chocolate!" I took it and pressed my hands against the warm container.

            Jackie sat down beside me and slurped down her drink, "This is so good."

            I smiled, glancing around the room. It was nearly empty. A couple was in the far right corner and a gold haired girl was in front of us, back to us.

            The girl went somewhere and Jackie grinned, "I need to pee. I'll be right back."

            I drank some of the hot chocolate and stupidly burned my tongue. I've noticed it doesn't matter how many hot things you drink, you always get burned on the first sip. I frowned. Jackie headed toward our table talking enthusiastically with the golden haired girl. The girl's gold hair was cropped short, hanging just below her neck, curving under her chin.

            "Ohmigod," I never thought I's say those words but they just slipped. I never believed I'd see Eliot again but there she was, still as gorgeous as ever. I thought when I told her I loved her five years ago that she's come back but she didn't. Now, all those old feelings were brewing deep in me and I couldn't help but nervously get up, slamming my knee into the table and spilling my hot chocolate all over my leg, "Shit!"

            Eliot laughed, "I see you haven't stopped cussing like your mother wanted you to."

            Jackie nodded, "Pssh, I learned a hell of a lot of words from this one."

            Eliot turned at grinned at the barista, "Hey, Christy, can we get some napkins over here?"

            "Sure!"

            Eliot came to my side, "Are your jewels okay?" She snickered.

            "Yeah, what are you doing here?"