Training

Derek POV

Alex decided that it would be a good idea for Stiles to have someone he trusted around in his training sessions and seen as though no one other than the pack knew of the new developments between me and him they chose Scott to stay for him.

I wasn't happy about it and it appeared that whilst Stiles was okay with Scott being there it wasn't working the way Alex wanted it to with his control.

After the 9th (or was it 10th?) time the table set on fire Alex threw up her arms and sat crossed legged on the floor in front of him.

From the crack in the door I was looking through I couldn't see Stiles Dad before now but he went to sit down at the table when it looked like Alex was taking a break.

Or giving up.

"Stiles why can't you concentrate, is there something on your mind?"

Stiles just shrugged, not that she could understand if he did say something anyway.

"Dude, do you want Derek here? Him being your anchor and stuff it would probably help more than just 'someone you trust' like me." Scott said

Stiles looked like he wanted to say yes but didn't want to hurt Scott's feelings by telling him that he wasn't helping him. Scott and he were best friends after all, although that also meant that Scott knew Stiles well enough to know when he was holding something back.

"Man, I can go hang out with Isaac and you get to get a better hang of this control with Derek, it's a win win. See you later bro." Scott said quietly and walked past me, shuffling his way over to his boyfriend.

"Where's he off? He can't go yet were not finished, Scott get back in here!" Alex yelled after him as I walked over to sit on Stiles' left facing him and ignoring Alex's glances between the two of us in favour of watching the way Stiles shuffled a little closer to me as he relaxed from his conversation with Scott.

"Okay, trying a new person might be a good idea and the Alpha position could help too so I'm glad you came Derek. Okay let's try this again" she got Stiles to close his eyes and told him to concentrate on the magic and try not to do his new favourite trick and set the book she placed in front of him on fire.

After a few minuets in silence the book on the floor between us caught fire and the Sheriff, who was stood ready with the fire extinguisher, made the flames die to ashes which he stared at thinking earnestly with a grim look on his face. I think he was having a hard time dealing with the fact that not only was his son dabbling with the supernatural but was one of them now as well however it showed he was trying to stay strong for Stiles no matter what.

"That was longer this time, I don't know what you did different or if it was because of the switch in company but whatever you did we need to work it out and get you to have access to use it all the time." Alex said looking hopeful and again slightly proud, it was strange how this woman who had hardly any connection to us seemed to be more than willing to help and not only that but be proud of us for any small achievements.

Stiles sighed "I wish they would just get it's okay now, I've got you and that's all I need." He looked at me "I do have you... Right?" He looked like he was going to be rejected and the thought that I made him that nervous made me want to cry. That's not how mates were meant to make one another feel; we were meant to make each other happy, comfort one another and make each other feel safe and loved.

Not nervous and wanting a mental breakdown, not to be edgy and feel like we're treading on thin ice.

"Of course you do, more than you even know." I couldn't think of any words that could reassure him and with his Dad and Alex in the room I couldn't even scent mark him or show him how much I cared.