fifteen

We arrived in the very early morning hours of night, quietly sneaking in, not trying to wake anyone who may have been sleeping at the time. He held my hand the entire way upstairs and never loosened his grip. It made me feel joyous enough to forget the pain of yesterday, and not even that could stop me from enjoying this moment and the future it holds.

Footsteps scared us into a freeze, frantically looking around for who could be up, and who we woke up.  We were pleased and sighing of relief when Katherine's face appeared in the moonlight peering through the window. Though at first, she was scared because she didn't know who I was until I stepped forward to greet her with a hug.

"Bonnie," she rocked side to side a bit as she hugged me, "I'm so happy you chose to stay with us."

Michael let out a quiet chuckle then hugged her. He whispered in her ear but loud enough for me to hear, and told her, "She's also chosen me." He lets out a nervous laugh.

Katherine pulled away and quietly gasped, then pointed at the both of us. "So you two are finally...?" We happily nodded and locked hands again. She looks down at us, with a smile growing on her face, "Oh, this is lovely, I couldn't ask for a better girl for my baby. I truly feared Michael was going to find someone with the wrong intentions, but now I have nothing to fear." Her words kept me smiling with great emotion and excitement.

She excused herself and said goodnight, going downstairs for something, leaving me and Michael alone in the hallway. Not knowing if I should sleep in his bedroom or the one I was previously staying in, I grabbed my bags and headed towards my old room.

"Hey where are you going?" His soft voice whispered to me in a reassuring tone. I turned around with a surprised smile and walked towards him slowly. "C'mon," he motioned his head towards the door of his bedroom, "Sleep with me." His hand grabbed mine softly and he walked me into his room. "You can go ahead and get undressed. I'll grab the rest of your things." And with that he walked out and closed the door. I was now alone in his room, my eyes scanning it as I get into sleepwear.

Michael's room was very elegant. He had a very Victorian feel to it. It was very nice and suited him well, like a king. By the time I was done getting dressed, Michael still hadn't returned. I sat on the edge of his bed not knowing if I should get in bed yet. He must have a routine.

The door softly cracked open and his face peeped through, but once he saw I wasn't in bed, he opened the door completely. "I thought you'd be ready to sleep by now."

"Oh, I was just-" I paused. "Do you have a preferred side of the bed, or?"

He laughed and set the bags down beside the nightstand, "I'm fine, what matters is that you're comfortable." He turned back to close the door then approached me slowly, then sat next to me on the bed. The tension was immensely growing the more he stared at me. I could feel my face getting warm and my heart racing as I looked at him almost expressionless. We had never been this physically close. His features were accentuated in the moonlight that shone above him.

"Here, you can lay down," He softly whispered and slowly laid me down with him. His arms wrapped round my body and he laid behind me.

"You're not gonna change?" I softly asked.

"I just wanna stay here with you for now."

My heart swooned with delight and the biggest smile appeared on my face. My hands moved up and down his arms as I closed my eyes, getting used to the warmth and love I was feeling inside me.

It was one of the best feelings I had in a while.

-

When I woke up, I was now under the covers, and alone. At first, I thought last night was all a dream and I was back in Gary until I turned to the side and found myself in Michael's room. I rose from the bed, frantically looking for him with my eyes. The door to the bedroom hadn't been closed all the way, even though it was intended to be. After putting on a robe to cover myself, I walked to the door and quietly peered through it to see if anyone was in the house at all. Although the hallway was empty of people, I could faintly hear a conversation going on in the bathroom. It was definitely Michael and Jermaine, their voices were clear, but what exactly they were saying was not. It sounded like they were arguing.