thirty three

Today was the day.

The day Michael and I show a forever commitment to each other. I still can't believe that we've come from that awkward day in Kindergarden, to getting married! I remember that day in Kindergarden oh-so clearly...

Flashback

"Good morning, children! Today is Name Day! That means you find another boy or girl in this room, and you tell each other your names! Then you go on and tell each other your favourite colours, foods, hobbies, whatever you want to talk about! After I ring the bell, we switch to another classmate! Got it? Go!" my elderly Kindergarden teacher smiled.

Name Day; the most awkward day of Kindergarden.

As soon as she said "Go," the entire class scrambled to find another person to converse with. Some group of little girls had already known each other from pre-school. I didn't go to pre-school, and I didn't know anyone else in the room.

No one except that little boy in the corner. He's my neighbour. Our mothers talk to each other, but we keep our distance. He kept staring at me, and I kept staring at him. Once we both realised that we were the only two left without a Name Day partner, we approached each other slowly.

"Hi," I smiled. It wasn't a very confident one, either.

"H-Hello," he stuttered. "Our mommy's talk to each other, huh?"

"Yeah." I paused, swinging my arms back and forth. Then I put my hand out, "We're neighbours. I think you should know me. I'm Bonnie. What's your name?"

He hesitated to put his hand out to shake my hand, but he shook it once he knew I meant no harm.

"My name is Michael." he smiled shyly.

"So, um." I trailed off the 'um'.

"Favourite singer?" Michael asked.

I thought about it for a few seconds, "I have a lot. But I think I choose James Brown. He dances like he's from the Moon! It's amazing!" I exclaimed.

Michael's eyes widened, "I love James Brown too!"

"Really?! My mommy and daddy love to listen to him all day! And I saw him on the TV once. And he was dancing. I like the way he dances," I laughed.

Michael laughed a little, "I think I can be better than him," he said jokingly.

"No one is better than James Brown, silly!" I laughed.

"I guess my name is No One?" he smiled, and backed up a few steps to start dancing.

He spun and danced exactly like James Brown, which made me amazed.

Michael misplaced his foot, and tripped. He started laughing at himself, "Oops,"

"Oops," I repeated. I walked to him to help him up, "Are you from the Moon too, Michael?!"

"No! I'm from Jackson Street,"

"Hey, I'm from Jackson Street, too!" I smiled. He laughed a little, then I spoke out my feelings, "You're a good kid, Michael. I like you. I think you're Cootie Free. Let's be best friends forever, yeah?" I asked putting my pinky out.

He looked at my pinky, "Yeah," he locked his pinky with mine, and twisted them, both promising to be best friends for all time.

"Ring-a-Ding! Time to change classmates!" Our teacher rung and sang with the bell.