nineteen

"No! I'm leaving, Janet. I'm not changing my mind!" I yelled as I was running around Michael's room trying to pack everything I ever brought.

"Please, don't go! He must have some explanation!" she pleaded.

I stopped and turned around to her, "Why would he do this to me? He told me, 'It wouldn't be the same without you,' 'I don't want to take anyone but you' well you know what? He said this, he said that. He just proved that actions speak way louder than words!" I shoved the last of my clothes into my suitcase. Janet kept quiet. I don't think she had any rebutal to my argument. I felt bad for yelling at her for Michael's wrong doings.

"Janet, I'm sorry for-"

"No no. You're right. I don't know what his problem is," she looked emotionless.

I paused, "Janet, I love you to pieces! But just know that I'm not leaving you, I'm leaving him. You've been such a great friend." I picked up my last bag, and bear hugged her.

"Where are you going to go?" she asked worrriedly.

I sighed. "I'm not sure. I'll just take a taxi to the nearest hotel or something,"

Janet's eyes had tears threatening to spill, "Be careful, Bonnie Girl,"

I was walking out, "I will," and that was the last thing I said to her before leaving out into the Californian world.

*

A man in a taxi stopped for me, and it was really late for taxi's to be out.

"You do know that I wasn't going to stop right?" he said to me not even turning around to properly greet a customer.

"Thank you," was all I could say.

I guess he heard the sadness in my voice and turned around to me. His eyes widened to golf balls, "Hey, you're Michael Jackson's girlfriend aren't you?!" he pointed to me.

The words: 'Michael' and 'Girlfriend' made me wince and sob my eyes out.

"Oh. I'm sorry for asking, miss." he apologized and turned around, "So where are we heading?"

I sniffled my tears up, "I was his girlfriend. Things just aren't going well anymore."

He turned around, "I'm sorry. I'm sure he didn't deserve you." he sideways smiled. "So any place in mind?"

I sighed, "I don't know. Do you know any good hotels I could stay at?" With that he started driving up the road. He looked to his rearview mirror to talk to me, "You look like a nice girl, be careful when you go out. California's crazy,"

I smirked, "Thanks for the advice sir."

"Anytime. And call me Sal." he smiled.

"Thank you, Sal."

*

We stopped at an okay hotel. Looked home-y and suitable for a few nights. Sal got out of the car and opened my door.

"Thank you, Sal. How much for the-" I got my wallet out.

"No, just take this ride free." he motioned my wallet away.

"But I can't-"

"Trust me, I think you need it more than I do." he smiled. "Have a nice night, miss Bonnie."

I got my bags out of the car, "Thank you, Sal." He waved me goodbye and drove off.

*

I went to my room 4-17, and just plopped on the bed. Why? Why would he do this? Why did he lead me on like that? 'Why?' Was all I could think right now. I turned on the television in the room and started flipping channels. I hit CBS to watch the Grammys...for other artists I liked.