Chapter Sixteen: Lullaby

SWITCH POV TO AUSTIN 

I paced the waiting room. The whole bands were here. Tony was white and pale. He had his head in his hands and his mouth slightly open. I looked around and saw them all crying. Terra, you'd better fucking hang in there. 

"We all want that." whispered Alan. I must've said that out loud. I smiled weakly at him. He smiled back. 

"Terra Perry?" asked a male's voice. 

Tony leaped up. The doctor pulled him aside and I watched as Tony looked relieved, then he paled even further. The doctor was saying something to him that no one else could hear. 

"WHAT?" he screamed. He turned and punched his fist into the hard brick wall. We heard the audible crack in his hand. We all winced. Tony would never have done anything that would have jeopardized his playing, especially on tour. "Fuck." he snapped. The doctor bit his tongue and told Tony that he would bandage it up for free, but left. Tony shook in anger and in pain. We all stood and looked at him. He held his broken hand to his chest and started breathing heavily. 

"Terra..." he whispered gently. His eye started tearing up. I swallowed hard and stared at my tattoos. "Terra...she's...she slipped into a coma..." he rubbed his face and collapsed on the ground and started crying. Instantly, Vic, Jaime, and Mike rushed up to comfort him. 

I covered my mouth and everyone shook their heads in disbelief. How could this be happening to us?

SWITCH POV BACK TO TERRA

 All was black. I didn’t feel, I didn’t move, I could cry. I don’t think I could if I wanted to. I tried to think about all of this. Why was it so dark? There were some muffled voices and I felt sick. At least I think I felt sick. I must be in heaven, I thought. I must be dead. 

I felt a certain warmth on my forehead and the voice became clearer. 

“Hey, short-stack.” Whispered a voice. I recognized it as Mike. I wanted to say something, but I couldn’t even groan. “Doc says you can hear me. I-” he broke off. I tried frantically to search for the voice again. I heard a shaky breath. “I ah…I can’t…you can’t leave us, Terra. I…” I felt more warmth on my cheek. 

“Hey Little Perry.” Jaime said. I wanted to open my eyes and see Jaime being serious for once, but they stayed closed. “That dick…Collins, he’s put away for good.” Jaime’s voice cracked. “And he’s being tried for murder, but-” he broke off. I heard him cover his mouth. I knew he kissed my hands. 

“Terra.” Vic was here. “I…ugh. I hate hospitals.” He whispered. “I hated them ever since I was emitted into one.” He laughed bitterly. “I can’t stand seeing you broken.” He grasped my hand and squeezed it. I wish I could squeeze it back. I wanted to let him know I was still alive. He told me about every little thing that he hated about hospitals. Then his voice cracked and he started crying. I felt his tears fall on my arms. He held me shakily. Then he kissed me. “I love you, Terra.” 

Then he left. There was a moment of silence. I tried to hope that Tony was here, just being silent. I held my breath. 

“Hey, Terra.” His voice sounded awful. I heard a strum of a guitar. “I broke my hand, so bear with me.” He started to sing. “You can rest easy tonight, everything is gonna be alright, I promise. Go to sleep and dream of me tonight, everything may not be perfect, but at least we tried, so tonight,” he swallowed hard and started to strum again. “Sweet dreams, and sleep tight, I’ve been trying so hard, can’t get you out of my mind, and if this is how it has to be, just promise you won’t forget me, and I’ll leave you with this lullaby tonight. I know that this hurts you, it hurts me too, I wish there was something I could do to make it better for you, sometimes it’s tough, too soon to call it love, but I wanted to, yeah I wanted to, but it’s too late to say all the wonderful things I thought of you.” I could feel him crying before I felt it. “Terra. I should have been there…I should have done something.” 

I wanted to tell him that it wasn’t his fault. I could only lie there, helplessly in the dark. I felt some pins and needles in my arms and my toes. I flinched. I flinched. Tony must’ve felt it too. He sat up and grabbed my shoulders. He hugged me tightly. I grunted. 

“Gerroff me…” I muttered, jokingly. 

“Terra!” he breathed. I opened my eyes and bitterly looked down on at my skin. It was bruised and ugly. I swallowed hard and looked at Tony, who’s eyes were red with tears and puffy from him wiping them all the time. He started crying again and he wrapped his arms around me. I winced. 

“Ugh. I look so ugly.” I told him, staring at my hands and wrists which here covered in bandages and needles. I heard my heart monitor beep. He looked at me, looking relieved. He pressed a button. 

“She’s awake.” He whispered, barely audible. Then he turned to me and kissed my cheek. “I love you, Terra.” 

"Where was I?" I breathed. Tony looked uncomfortable.

"You were in a coma. It was supposed to last longer. The head  trauma was just too much for your heart to handle, and you...you passed out...and..." he wiped away tears and smiled at me. "I'm just so glad you're okay." 

"Yeah. I'm okay." I told Tony. A doctor walked in with two nurses. 

"Mr. Perry, I'm going to have to ask you leave for a few minutes as we run a few tests on Terra." The doctor said, checking my charts. Tony squeezed my hand and picked up the guitar and left, looking over his shoulder. I smiled back at him. 

The doctor checked my charts, pulled out some tubes, and replaced some gauze. 

"Well, Miss Perry. You're very lucky." he told me, nodding at my papers. I smiled. 

"Yeah?" 

"Yes. You can leave tomorrow if you'd like. We just have to prescribe you to some new medication for your wounds and your anxiety. Then you should be free to leave." He smiled at me and then put his hand on my arm. "You're very lucky." he said seriously, and then he left. 

I sighed and snuggled into the hospital bed, closing my eyes. If only I felt lucky...