Chapter 4

Dedicated to @Jessie_Baby for being my first ever Wattpad commenter, follower and friend :)

Chapter 4

The rest of the week leading to the dance was boring and typical and Wednesday would have been the same were it not for the incident in History.

Yup, that was what Mrs. O'Connor said when things went down in class and the same word Vice-Principal Morris used when he called Adam to tell him what happened.

Adam had been in a meeting with a client when Mr. Morris called him. Anyone in their right minds would have panicked if they got a call that started with, "Mr. Preston, I'm afraid there's been an incident involving Sara." But when my brother actually found out what the incident was, Adam had every right be pissed off – a fact he made perfectly clear with the school vice-principal.

What was the incident, you may ask?

I'd been given detention for passing a note in History.

I didn't write the damn thing; I'd literally just been passing it from Irene Ortega who sat behind me to Roger Newman who was in front of me. But the note was in my hands at the exact moment Mrs. O'Connor turned to ask the class a question. I tried to tell her it wasn't my note but the sad, worried look in her eyes cut me off. "This is an unfortunate incident," was all she said before handing me a pink slip.

I looked down at the small sheet of paper that detailed what probably was the stupidest detention in the history of detentions.

Name of Student: Sara Preston

Nature of Offense: Passing notes in class (History, 11:15 to 12:05, E. O'Connor)

Suggested Punishment: Detention, One Hour, After School

This wasn't my first detention as you'd assume of someone with such a brainy reputation. This was actually my fourth – the first one was for being fifteen minutes late to school and the next two were for the thing with the beakers last year.

I've seen students pass notes in class all the time and teachers normally just made them read the note aloud or confiscated the note altogether.

In what universe does it make sense to give somone detention for passing a note?

The extreme stupidity of the whole thing left me in a bad mood the entire day. I was quiet through lunch, AP Chem and French. Even as I took out my anger on the opposing team during the dodgeball game in PE, I still kept my mouth shut.

Allie and Jenny were catching a ride with Louis after school and with all the brooding I'd been doing the entire afternoon, I think they were thankful for it.

There wasn't anybody else in the room aside from Mr. Vasiri. Even to detention, I couldn't stand being late. That or it was a really slow day for detentions – or teachers were just giving them out for the stupidest of reasons.

I silently handed in my pink slip. He looked like he wanted to ask me about it but I just took my seat in a desk in the corner and began working on my homework.

Ten minutes later, Mr. Vasiri cleared his throat. He was standing in the doorway and asked with a small smile, "I know I don't have to ask but will you be fine while I get a few things from my office?"

I nodded absent-mindedly but not completely taking my mind off of the French verbs I was supposed to be conjugating.

A few minutes passed before the door opened and someone spoke, "Hey, you're in the wrong room."