Chapter 15

Dedicated to terra_nova for "getting it". This dedication is rather long overdue but I hope it's still much appreciated XD

City by Sara Bareilles (the song Sara sings at the start of the chapter) and Angelie (Sara Paxton) in the sidebar.

VOTE!

Chapter 15

"There's a harvest each Saturday night and the bar's filled with perfume and hitching a ride ... A place you could stand for one night and get gone," I sung to myself as I turned the combination to my locker. 

I slipped off my sweatshirt and neatly folded it into my locker.  "It's clear this conversation ain't doing a thing 'cause these boys only listen to me as I sing ... And I don't feel like singing tonight all the same songs."

"That's a pretty depressing song for someone who's had such a stellar start to her day."

I turned around.

Needless to say, I was surprised to find a very hostile-looking Angelie standing behind me. 

Angelie was raising an eyebrow at me and her arms were crossed in front of her. Her face was twisted in a sneer that made it lose all its usual prettiness.  Though she looked the part in her green and yellow cheerleader's uniform and her blonde hair up in a tight ponytail, she didn't give off the vibes of a happy, preppy cheerleader right now.

"Sometimes I have a song stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to sing it out," I shrugged. 

Before I could turn around to get the books for my morning classes, Angelie was talking again.  "Don't think I don't know what you're doing."

I laughed.  "Getting my books?  I kind of thought that was obvious."

"Not your books," she rolled her gray eyes at me.  "I know what you're doing with Nate.  I saw you get out of his car this morning." 

As she said the last sentence, I sighed.  "Angelie, like I told you before: Nate and I are friends."

"My truck broke down and he offered me a ride to school," I explained when she continued to glare at me.

"Your truck broke down?  Yeah, way to play the damsel in distress card."

I doubled at her words.  "Damsel in distress?  I don't put much stock in the whole princess-waiting-for-her-prince scenario."

"Yeah, right because you're the active type," she mocked.  "You go behind other people's backs and try to get their boyfriends, don't you?"

I counted to five in my head. 

Slapping her will land you in detention, Sara, I repeated to myself with each count.

"Angelie," I said when I was sure I was calm enough.  "I am not trying to get Nate.  We're friends."

"If you're such friends, why hasn't he said a word about you since I knew him?" she raised a perfectly groomed eyebrow at me.

"Because people fall out of contact with one another and that's what happened to us," I explained.  "It's just that now -"

"Now you want him for yourself?  He's taken, if you haven't noticed."

"Of course I've -"

But Angelie cut me off by taking one full step so she was literally in my face.