Chapter 25

Dedicate to vincentvandont for her awesome reasons as to why Daniel and Sara should not be together.

Listen to Good to You by Marianas Trench ft. Jessica Lee in the sidebar.  THE FEELS, BRO.

A long chapter in exchange for not having to sell my kidney to the lowest bidder? :3 

Chapter 25

"I can not believe I let you talk me into this."

I was standing in front of the full length mirror in Allie and Jenny's closet, staring at the reflection with a mix of horror and disbelief on my face.

"It wasn't hard," Allie giggled. "You were a zombie from studying so much that you probably would have agreed to giving me your kidney if I asked. Besides, it's not so bad," she said after giving my outfit a cursory glance. Then she went back to fluffing her hair in front of the mirror.

"Not so bad?" I stared at the back of her curly blonde head.

I pointed down at my clothes: a lace tube top underneath a tight flannel shirt that was tied at the waist, jean shorts that would have fit a twelve year old and a pair of cowboy boots that I'm pretty sure real cowboys and cowgirls would want to burn.

"This," I emphasized, "is not the definition of 'not so bad'. It is, in fact, the complete exact opposite of 'not so bad'."

Jenny finished fastening the metal bangles on her wrists and looked me over thoughtfully. "Allie's right, Sara," she said slowly. "It isn't so bad – plus it is your birthday. You should dress up a little, considering where we're going."

Allie put down the curling iron and turned around to gape at both of us. "She's getting a frigging birthday party thrown in her honor by two of the school's most popular people! If I was in her shoes, I'd be walking in through the door in a tiara and a princess gown."

I rolled my eyes while trying to pull down the flannel shirt so that my belly would stop showing. No such luck. Needless to say, I was showing way too much skin for me to be comfortable.

"They're only throwing me this party because Colin Messer is throwing a Halloween party tomorrow and it's not going to be a costume party."

It was the night of the thirtieth of October – yes, the night before Halloween – which was, coincidentally, my birthday.

Colin Messer usually threw a rager of a Halloween party every year. But he didn't get the costume he wanted – that gladiator guy from 300 who yells 'Sparta' – tailor made in time and so he decided to ban costumes from his party altogether.

Which brings us to my current predicament.

Most of the senior class had already prepared their Halloween costumes for Colin's party. It was, apparently, something of a tradition for my classmates. When they heard Colin's ridiculous rule – anyone who showed up at the party wearing a costume would be automatically kicked out – they were, to put it mildly, severely disappointed.

Warren Brown High kids took their Halloween costumes very seriously.

Up until last Saturday, all hope was lost.

The solution to the party dilemma – and the reason for my current one – was formulated that day, when Allie and Nate both came over to my house for some much needed last minute tutoring for the exams we'd officially finished this afternoon – Allie in AP Chem and Math for Nate.