Chapter 9

Dedicated to KaleTheQueen because she made the first ever awesome cover for this book -- said cover has been, for the moment, benched).

I would like to give a massive THANK YOU to all of my followers and commenters, old and new. You don't know how unbelievably giddy and happy you've made me.

Chapter 9

Social butterfly.

That was what the twins started calling me ever since Theo joined us for lunch on Tuesday – or at least after they got over their shock and regained their ability to speak.

Sometime during lunch, Theo asked if I was watching the football game on Friday.

In true Allie fashion, she screamed "Yes!" before I could politely say "No".

Before Theo could even finish asking if I wanted to go to the party Colin was throwing after the game, Allie was already telling him I would love to come.

Theo, bless his heart, was finally catching on that words were being put in my mouth. His next words were directed at me, his hazel eyes zeroed in on my light brown ones. "Are you sure? You don't have to go if you don't want to, you know. I mean I wouldn't want you to be bored out of your mind there."

Bored out of your mind.

That reminded me of what Julian had said: Boring.

With newfound resolve, I gave him a strong nod. "Yeah, I'm sure. I can bring friends?"

Theo smiled at a very surprised pair of fraternal twins. "Sure. I'll meet you in the parking lot after the game, 'kay?"

This was how I found myself lying face down on Allie's bed that same Friday afternoon as she tried to find Jenny and me "more appropriate" attire for our first high school party. Jenny looked as sick as I felt – she hated parties more than I did – but Allie was excited enough for the three of us.

With a triumphant yell, Allie jumped out of the closet and tossed a pale gray dress and maroon tights in her sister's direction. Jenny gave her a weird look then went into their adjoining bathroom to change.

Unlike her, I wasn't going down without a fight – at least not when I saw what Allie was holding out to me: afrilly neon pink blouse, short black skirt and black pumps.

"It's so ... you. It's just not something I would wear, Al."

"You can wear leggings! Who knows why you even hide those legs of yours in the first place," she insisted. In a lower volume, she added. "And you're really only going because Theo asked you; least you can do's give the guy something to look at."

I raised on eyebrow at her and she rolled her eyes at me. "Fine." She walked – stomped – back into the closet and came out a few minutes later with something I found more acceptable.

Not bad, I had to admit when I finished changing. A long, hunter-green blouse with lace cap sleeves, black thermal leggings and a pair of dark brown boots – dressy without being over-the-top.

Allie was standing in front of of the makeup table wearing the outfit she picked out for me earlier, without the leggings. She was running creams and, for all I knew, magical potions into her curls to keep them springy. Jenny stood next to her, maneuvering a mascara wand over her eyelashes.

"How long was I in there?" It couldn't have been more than three or four minutes. But the two of them somehow finished putting makeup onin that time.