Chapter 35

Dedicated to Metryann for the banner. Re-arrange by Biffy Clyro to go with the chapter.

Chapter 35

It was the first day of winter break and I was enjoying being able to in.

I did one final stretch on my bed when I started to feel hungry and reached for my phone. There were texts from the twins saying goodbye since they were visiting relatives over the holidays and another from Nate asking if I wanted to hang out before he went on the Andersons' annual ski trip. I arranged a movie night later in the week and stared at the text message I'd intentionally saved for last.

My friend's throwing a party.

I sat up and pulled my hair into a ponytail. I shook my muscles awake as if I was preparing for a battle – a battle with words, maybe.

Good morning to you, too.

The reply was almost instant.

It's almost noon.

I've been awake for three hours.

Good morning :)

Scientists say you need eight hours of beauty rest.

Don't know how that feels.

I wake up and

BAM

I'm as good looking as ever.

Laughter was still in my voice when I answered his call five seconds later. "Good morning, Julian."

"Good morning." His voice had a smile in it. "So, the party?"

"Is it going to be fancy?" I asked worriedly.

"We'd just be hanging out with my friends. Evan will be there," he said begrudgingly. "There's going to be a caretaker too so it won't be too wild."

"A caretaker?" I frowned. "Don't you mean parent? Or guardian?"

"I mean caretaker. Like a person who takes care of a house for a family. A friend of mine has a lake house about twenty or thirty minutes from here. It's where we all usually get together before we go on trips over the break."

I bit my lip. "Are you going to be going on a trip?"

He was silent for a second. "Do you want me to go on one?"

"I, uh." I paused. Just answer the question. "No. I don't."

"Lucky I'm not going anywhere then. Ma Grand-mère is visiting us for the holidays this year."

I nodded before I realized he couldn't see me. "So, this party ... You friends who'll be there, they're all guys?"

"I have friends who are girls. Plus most of the guys bring their girlfriends –"

His words were heavy in the non-space phone calls traveled through.

I asked him what time he would pick me up – six.

Ginny smiled at me when I walked into kitchen minutes later. "I was just about to check if you were still alive, early bird," she joked.

"Good morning to you too, Gin." I smiled and took a seat at the kitchen table. "You know where Adam is?"