Chapter 29

Dedicated to QuebecAuthor because her French skills in this chapter were a huge help.

Listen to Uncharted by Sara Bareilles because I listened to her Brave Enough concert while writing this and the feels, bro.

Chapter 29

At first glance, you could probably mistake Julian as a carbon copy of his Dad. But you'd see at closer inspection that, while Julian and his Dad shared their hair color and build, his model-like good looks came from his mother's side of the family.

"Mom. Dad."

Julian and I may call our parents the exact same names but the way the words rolled off our tongues were complete polar opposites.

"Sorry if I'm a bit late," he continued. "I had to deal with some schoolwork."

Julian's parents, composed as they were, couldn't hide their shock quick enough. Mr. Pitt took a bit longer than needed to put down his water goblet while his wife's hands paused their efforts in smoothing out the non-existent wrinkles on her designer slacks.

"Schoolwork?" his dad chuckled once the water goblet was safely on the elegantly set table. "Looks like you've finally reached the bottom of the bucket when it comes to excuses, son."

Mrs. Pitt, however, now had her eyes – the color of warm chocolate like her son's – zeroed in on me. "Julian, you didn't say you were bringing a guest." Her face split into a wide smile and, before I knew it, she'd stood up and given me a hug.

Help me, I mouthed at Julian.

"Mom," Julian warned, his fingers tightening around mine as he tried to pull me away – no such luck. "You can't just go around hugging people. Especially if you don't even know who they are."

"I know but I just couldn't help it!" Her laugh was muted but very musical. "I just can't help but be excited to meet my son's girl friend – any mother would."

"Oh n-no." I was quickly turning the same color as the wine the couple in the next table was sipping. "Julian and I, we – Well, , uhm, that is to say – we're not –"

"We're not." Julian's tone was solid – final. "Mom, Dad, this is Sara – we're working on a project together for school." He glanced at his father. "Still got plenty of excuses in the bucket, Dad."

His parents looked at our hands.

An awkward five seconds passed before Julian and I realized that we actually had to let go of each other's fingers.

Julian cleared his throat and pulled out a seat, offering it to me.

Still blushing, I mumbled a thanks.

He nodded and to his own seat and looked around the table for a menu. "Have you guys ordered?" he asked when he saw there wasn't one.

Mrs. Pitt nodded. "I ordered all of your favorite things but in larger portions. I thought it would be wonderful if we ate and shared family-style."

"Except, of course, we're ordering from a restaurant."

His mother didn't hear – or simply didn't respond to – Julian's grumbling. "I hope you don't mind, Sara?"

"Not at all," I smiled shyly, "To be honest, I wouldn't even know what to order."

Julian grinned. "I just point at the prettiest picture on the menu."