9*No Matter What*

Dedicated to Amyscence because as all boyxboy readers know, he's very good at what he does.

Leaving school, I feel someone's arm loop through mine.

"Hey hottie," my best friend prattles while matching my stride to the parking lot.

"Hey Lyn," I respond looking over to her for a second. "What time are we meeting up to go out?"

"Eh, I'm not sure to be honest. Tabby said she would let me know when she got done. She has practice until like four, I think," she shrugs.

"You want to just come over to my house while we wait for her?"

"Yea, that's cool. You want me to meet you there," she stops in place to takes out her phone. I stop with her, "or do you want me to have my sister take my car home?" She waves her phone at me, looking like the answer is obvious.

I say what she wants me to. "No, you can ride with me," I deadpan. "No need to waste the gas. I'll meet you at my car. I'm over there," I point in the direction of where I parked this morning.

"K," she chirps, pressing on her phone screen and running in the opposite direction.

I roll my eyes and continue ambling to my car. Since my brother has practice, I drove separate this morning. When soccer season is over, we'll ride together; I just hate waiting for him to get done. Especially because he's team captain or whatever, sometimes he stays later with the coach.

While waiting, I send Evan a text apologizing again for not being able to go out with him tonight. A few minutes later my phone buzzes.

No prob. U owe me a date. Wat r u doin tmrw day?

Is that a trick question? I write back. Tmrw is Friday. Skool.

There's a few minute pause, where I'm sure he's getting ready for practice. No Skool. Teacher workday. My house instead?

How could I pass that up? K, but work@5.

Boo. C u tmrw. Practice now. Love you.

As I'm typing the last text telling my guy that I love him back, Lyn sits down in my passenger seat, scaring the shit out of me.

"GEE-ZUS! You scared the crazy out of me!" I yell at my best friend.

She starts laughing hysterically, "You should have," more laughing, "seen your face!"

"Shut up," I mumble catching her contagious laughing. "You almost gave me a heart attack," I push her shoulder lightly.

"So sorry, dear," she says wiping the tear from under her eyes. "That was god-awful funny."

I press send on my text message and slide my phone in my pocket. Driving home, we talk about nothing in particular. Newest gossip, latest crazes, hottest couples. Nothing of too much importance.

Getting to my house, I park on the street so that my mom can get into the driveway when she gets home from work. Getting out of the car, we walk into my house and see my dad on the living room couch. When he sees us, he's quick to get off the phone. We stand in the entryway staring at him, confused

"No, no, that sounds like the perfect place. Yea, sure that sounds good," he mumbles keeping his eyes away from our faces. "Uh-hmm. Right. Okay, I'll have to call you later about it. Yes, later. Sure, sure, yea. Bye," he hangs up the phone and turns to us. "Hey kid. Hey, Lynnie," he says with a little too much excitement in his voice.

"Hey Dad," we answer back in unison.

"Who were you talking to?" I question.

He seems to think this over for a second, "Just an old friend. How was school today?"