29*Physical Therapy*

Within the next couple of days, the doctors have me up and moving around as much as I can stand it. They tell me that the sooner I can move around comfortably, I'll be able to go home. And Evan tells me as soon as I go home, we can make love again. 

He doesn't let me have him in the shower.  

All of my friends have come to see me at some point - bringing me balloons or cards. They never stay too long - I think it makes them uncomfortable. Kyle has even come to see me with Jade and Oscar a couple times.  

Exactly one week after I woke up from my coma, I get a real surprise. Well, three of them. I'm sitting on my bed in my comfy clothes with Evan when my three favorite school officials walk in - Mr. Rad, Miss Crawford, and the Burb. 

"Oh my god!" I shout as they walk into the room.  

Putting my left hand on Evan's shoulder, I push myself off the bed. He immediately puts his hands to my hips walking behind me; just in case. Even though it's hardly needed anymore, I like the feeling and haven't asked him to stop. 

"What are you guys doing here?" my smile is huge as I wrap my arms around each other them individually. 

Burb was the first to speak, "We wanted to come see how you were doing. We heard you woke up and had to see for ourselves." 

"Why don't you sit back down, Walt?" my boyfriend more suggests that asks and I feel him pushing on me a little. He doesn't like me walking around too much. I know he's worried, but I like the feeling of being able to move around. Then he looks up at the teacher, "He just got done with physical therapy. He doesn't need to be up and walking. You guys can pull up some of the chairs though." 

The room we had been moved to was a private recovery room. I think Evan paid extra for it because it was huge like the last room and had a little sitting area where people could come to visit. 

"I'm fine," I tell him trying to hide my smile. "I need to be moving around. I want to go home." 

"As much as that may be true," my biology teacher butts in, "you don't want to over work your muscles. It could stain them and that would keep you here longer." 

"Thank you," Evan agrees with Miss Crawford as he leads me over to one of the chairs. He takes a seat on the arm rest; not wanting to stray too far from me. 

"So how have you been, man?" Mr. Rad asks as they all take a seat. 

I give him a genuine smile, "I actually feel great. I'm kind of bummed I won't be playing guitar anymore, but what can you do?" 

"You can't play anymore?" he seems shocked.  

I hold out my right hand to him to show him the huge angry pink scar that runs across my palm, "Knife went straight through. I can hardly move my fingers. Don't have any grip... I can't hold frets." 

"That's a bummer," he says apologetically. 

I nod, but shrug, "But I've already been working with the physical therapist on building up my left hand. It's going pretty well." 

When Miss Crawford goes to move a strand of hair out of her face, I notice something shining from her finger.  

It's an engagement ring. 

"You did it," It wasn't a question; more of an amazed statement. I motion to her hand silently asking to see the ring. "You asked her to marry you." 

"I did," Mr. Rad confirms. "When your accident happened, it reminded me of what happened to Jeremy and I knew I couldn't wait any longer." 

I look up at my science teacher to see her eyes glowing with pride as I look at her ring.