26*Back Burner*

After the bags and my acoustic guitar are packed in the back of the 16 person van, everyone climbs in. You can feel the excitement in the air. Everyone (especially Lyn) is talking loud with bigger hand gestures. I'm stuck on forgetting the fight between Evan and I. Therefore, I have thrown myself into the infectious enthusiasm full force. 

Everyone nominated Oscar to drive. He has the most patience.  

It's only a 45 minute drive if the traffic isn't too bad and we plan to go to a restaurant when we get into the city. First we're going to check in, but then everyone figures we can walk to some sort of eatery.  

The ride isn't horrible. The stereo blasts music that we all love and I get to sit by my best friend as we sing along. 

We get into the hotel rooms about an hour and a half after we leave Fred's house. The rooms have two queen size beds and we instantly make bed assignments. I figure it's not intelligent for two gay men to sleep in the same bed when we both have boyfriends, so I bunk with Lyn. Jade offers to share with Kyle, but he says he's more comfortable sleeping on the pullout couch.  

Once we resolve the bed situation, we meet the other guys down in the lobby to find somewhere to eat. Lucky for us, there's a pizza place a few doors down. The seven of us gather around a table talking and laughing as we decide what type of pizza to get.  

The three pizzas get placed in front of us, we eat and laugh and talk about what's going to happen tomorrow. From what research Fred and Lyn have done, they figure it's going to be like a rally, but with a happy ending. The message boards said that we could bring signs to support the matrimony and that there will probably be opposing people there as well. 

When you hold a homosexual wedding on the steps of New York City Hall, it's pretty much an open invitation for anyone to come. 

Everyone's sitting on the floor of the hotel room while we paint signs in rainbow colors. All the catchy phrases we can think or we found on the internet are scrawled onto large poster boards lying around the room.  

"Alright guys, the wedding's at noon. We should all get to sleep here in a little while. We want to be fresh for it," our black friend announces standing from his spot on the floor. "We'll all meet in the lobby at 10am to start heading down that way. It's like a ten minute walk, but I want to be there early. As we all know, the real action starts before the actual event." 

Cam and Oscar stand as well, dusting off their pants. Kyle stands up a few seconds later to walk his boyfriend to the door. Jade has been laying on her bed for a while now. She just rolls over and puckers her lips for her boyfriend to lean down. Once she receives his sweet peck, she smacks his ass as he walks away making everyone laugh. 

Kyle returns a minute or so after the boys left; he stands near one of the bed pretty awkwardly. 

"You don't have to be shy, Kyle," my best friend blurts out. "We won't bite!" 

He smiles at her timidly and shakes his brown hair out of his eyes, "I'm kind of a shy person." 

"We noticed," Jade sings. 

I let out a small chuckle, "You're one to talk Jade." 

"There's a difference between shy and quiet. And I'm really only quiet when I don't have anything to say," well I guess I can't argue that logic.  

I shake my head, deciding to change the subject, "You guy want to just leave the posters to dry and what not?" 

Lyn nods her head, "Yea, better safe than sorry." She hops over a couple posters toward her overnight bag. Reaching the intended area, she turns around abruptly and announces, "I have an idea!"