14*Just As Friends?*

I don't look up as I hear my door open. I don't look up when I hear footsteps cross my room and stop near my bed. I don't even look up when I hear the bedsprings next to me squeak.

"Punk, will you please talk to me?" his voice made me want to smile and cry at the same time.

"About?" I question turning my head to the side to see his face.

Evan rolls his eyes, "The school issue, Walt."

"You need to go to college. You need to get a degree. What if this doesn't work out?"

"This will work," he assures me. "You're father's the best photographer I know. He won't let this business fail. Plus, I have to make it work, so I can be with you."

"Yea," I laugh sarcastically. "You need a fucking degree, Evan. I'm not gonna let you open this business and not have a backup plan."

"Honestly, I don't think that's your choice," he says it in a way that isn't meant to piss me off, but let's be honest.

"Awesome," I shake my head cynically.

"What I mean is," Evan sighs, "it's not your decision if I go to school or not." He audibly takes in a large breath, "But, if you want me to, I'll take a few classes at the community college to get a business degree. I'm sure it will help with the studio anyways."

"I'd rather you go to a university. You've worked so hard in high school just to throw away everything," I point out. Bringing my arms up, I lay my head on top of them to get a better view.

"I'm not 'throwing it away.' This is what I want to do with my life," he practically yells at me. "I just get to do it a little sooner than I expected. I get to start part of my dream before I even get out of school."

"How are you going to open this shop, go to school, do soccer tournaments, play in jazz band and participate in student counsel?" Raising an eyebrow, I give him a look to show I'm unconvinced.

"Well, I've actually thought a lot about that. And I've come to a conclusion," he rubs the back of him neck.

He pauses for a second with a thoughtful look on his face. I always thought he was most attractive with his real smile, but this is my second favorite look. Deep concentration. I love it because he doesn't even know he does it. It's one of those subconscious looks that if he actually knew about, he would stop it from happening. Therefore, I leave this look a mystery to him because I would miss it, if it left.

"I'm not going to like this answer, am I?" I lay my forehead on my hands, facing the covers instead of looking at him.

"I don't think that's necessarily true."

I close my eyes, "Then just tell me."

"Well, I was talking to my counselor when I was turning in my Yale application and she said I had enough credits to 'graduate' in December," Evan rushes through the explanation. "So, I thought that I could get out of school in the winter and just start work after that."

"I hate this business more by the second," I whine.

"Then, I decided that I couldn't do that. Not that I can't really, more that I didn't want to," I could hear his voice shaking, a sign of his nerves. "I wouldn't be able to see you every day or take you to prom," Evan almost whispers that part. Louder he continues, "Plus, I'd have to drop soccer if we placed after I completed my classes. I would also have to give up student counsel and jazz band. I can't let everyone down like that."

I don't respond. I don't think I can without tearing up. He's really going to do this.

"So instead, I'm going to take a half day of school. I'll take morning classes and sit with you at lunch," he trails a hand lazily over my back. "Of course, I'll have to work something out with Mr. Rad. But, I'll go to the studio after I get out. I'll do my shoots on the weekends or in the afternoons."